What are your thoughts on Lorex Power over Ethernet (PoE) security cameras?

Hey guys, so I’ve been thinking about setting up a video surveillance system at home, and I was considering Lorex since it’s a division of FLIR, which seems pretty reliable. But, I’ve been doing a ton of research, and I’ve come across a bunch of mixed reviews – some good, but a lot of bad ones too.

I know some of you are pretty tech-savvy, so I wanted to get your thoughts on it. One thing that’s been bugging me is that Lorex is owned by a Chinese company, and you know how I feel about software with ties to the CCP.

Do you think the negative reviews are just from people messing up the installation, or is there something more to it?

Also, if you know of any other good PoE systems out there, I’m all ears.

Thanks for helping me out in advance!

1 Like

Lorex, a division of FLIR, offers high-quality video surveillance systems with features like 4K resolution and night vision, but has mixed reviews due to customer service issues and software glitches. Concerns about data security arise from its ownership by Chinese company Dahua Technology. For more reliable alternatives, consider Reolink or Amcrest, which offer good performance and support without the same data privacy concerns. Ubiquiti UniFi Protect is another high-quality option, though more expensive. When choosing a system, prioritize data security, reliable customer service, and ease of installation.

Also, it’s important to weigh your specific needs and preferences when selecting a surveillance system. If data security is a major concern for you, opting for brands with transparent data handling policies and strong encryption protocols is crucial. Look into customer reviews for insights on real-world performance and reliability, and consider the quality of customer support, as this can be critical if you face any issues.

Evaluate the ease of installation, especially if you plan to set up the system yourself. Systems like Reolink and Amcrest are known for user-friendly interfaces and straightforward installation processes. Higher-end options like Ubiquiti UniFi Protect may offer superior performance and integration with other network devices, but at a higher cost.

Ultimately, your decision should balance your security needs, budget, and the importance you place on data privacy. Doing thorough research and possibly testing a system with a good return policy can help ensure you make an informed choice that meets your requirements.

What We Like

• No Required Monthly Fees: Lorex cameras record locally using DVRs and NVRs, making cloud subscriptions optional.
  • High Video Quality: Lorex offers a variety of cameras, including those with 2K or 4K resolution.
  • People and Vehicle Detection: Advanced AI technology enhances motion detection, allowing Lorex cameras to accurately identify people and vehicles while ignoring other moving objects.

What We Don’t Like

• Installation: Users are responsible for the installation process, which often involves running cables throughout the house.
  • No Professional Monitoring: Lorex prioritizes user privacy by leaving monitoring up to the user. If the cameras detect motion, it’s the user’s responsibility to verify the alert and call for help if necessary.
  • Customer Service: Lorex customer support is only available Monday through Saturday from 11:00 am to 10:00 pm EST.

Bottom Line

Lorex provides high-quality, reliable cameras with video resolutions from 1080p to 4K HD, excellent night vision, and local video storage via DVRs and NVRs. You’ll get professional-grade home security equipment without the burden of high monthly fees.

Ultimately, the best system depends on your budget, technical expertise, and desired features. Consider factors like camera resolution, night vision capabilities, mobile app functionality, and data storage options when making your decision.

You’re absolutely right, researching and understanding potential downsides is crucial. Mixed reviews and data security concerns are valid points to consider with Lorex.

Lorex offers a wide range of cameras and systems, including PoE (Power over Ethernet) options, wireless systems, and wired systems.