Vivint won’t let me cancel, any advice

I’m having a nightmare trying to cancel.

I’ve tried to cancel so many times, but they act like they never got my calls or emails.

Their reps are not honest, and the techs who come to my home lie too.

The equipment is bad and way too expensive.

I tried to cancel the other day, but they gave me a hard sales pitch, saying they’d give me $600 in equipment for free if I stayed.

I told them their stuff is overpriced and not even good quality (not 4K), and they refuse to honor their promise to lower my monitoring rate after they were overcharging me.

I’m owed a lot, but they won’t honor their word since I didn’t agree to their deal for more bad equipment. They won’t lower my rate either.

It’s ridiculous and I’m still trying to cancel.

Their financing is just as bad, but I didn’t use it.

Edit: I don’t have a contract. I paid for everything without financing. I also spoke to their ‘loyalty’ team who tried to pressure me into a contract.

Edit: Any recommendations for better companies with better cameras?

Edit: I’ve told them many times that I’m not under contract, but they are still trying to force me into one by giving me equipment if I sign up.

What does your contract say about canceling?

@FundingFinderFelix I don’t have a contract. I didn’t finance anything, and I’ve been with them for a while.

@FortressForums You definitely have a contract. No company does monitoring without one. Even if you’re month-to-month now, there was probably a longer term when you first signed up. That’s why they’re offering you ‘free’ equipment to lock you in again.

Find your contract and see what it says about canceling. Saying you don’t have one won’t get you anywhere. If you plan to take legal action, your contract will be the first thing the lawyer or judge asks about.

I’m sure you signed a contract at some point.

@Lashun No, I didn’t. I’m not under contract.

That’s why they’re trying to make me sign up for one by giving me free equipment, but I’m not going to do that.

@FortressForums No security company will monitor your system without a contract, even if it’s just month-to-month.

@Lashun I’m not under contract. I’ve been trying to cancel since last year.

I’ve been in the business for over 40 years, and I’ve heard so many people say they don’t have a contract. Even if you didn’t finance it, you likely signed something for monitoring. Usually, contracts are 3 to 5 years, and that’s why you can’t cancel. If you stop paying, they’ll send you to collections. Contracts protect security companies because of the high risk. It’s rare, but sometimes mistakes happen, and people get monitored without a proper agreement. If that’s the case, you can stop paying, but it’s unusual.

@Luna I am not under a contract. I’ve been trying to cancel without a contract, and they still won’t let me.

They even admitted they’ve been charging me too much, but they won’t give me a refund.

I’m about to go to the BBB. This company has been sued before for shady practices, and I think they’re in financial trouble. That’s just my opinion, though.

@FortressForums If you’re not under contract, how did they get your payment details? You must have filled out something to start the service. If they claim you signed up, you could have a lawyer ask for a copy of whatever you signed. If there’s nothing, you can start a case with your credit card company to get your money back.

You should double-check the contract situation. Even if you paid for the equipment upfront, most systems have at least a three-year contract. When you call to cancel, ask them where to send a cancellation letter. Send it with signature confirmation so you have proof. You can also check your contract for the address.

Good luck!

@howdyrobert I’ve been with them for years. I’m past the contract.

They give you an email address to send cancellation requests. That’s the only way to cancel with them.

I’ve emailed them many times, but they’re just ignoring me.

Thanks for trying to help.

@FortressForums That’s frustrating. You could try calling and just repeating, ‘I want to cancel’ until they listen. Maybe even set up an email script to send 10 cancel requests every day. At least you’d flood their inbox with emails. You could also CC yourself and contact your state Attorney General. There are probably others in the same boat as you.