Upgrading from an Amcrest Analog DVR System

When my parents moved into their home in 2020, they inherited an Amcrest AMDV960H8 DVR system with seven wired cameras connected via BNC connectors. Unfortunately, this system has been frustrating to use. The password reset process is cumbersome—requiring tech support each time—and the unit is slow and outdated, only supporting either a mouse or keyboard, but not both simultaneously.

I’m looking to upgrade the DVR system to something more user-friendly and efficient. I’m open to any brand, not just Amcrest, as long as it works smoothly with minimal hassle. While the existing cameras are adequate for now, I might consider upgrading to higher-resolution cameras (2K/4K) in the future, but I’m unsure if those would work over BNC connectors.

Given these needs, I’d appreciate any suggestions on a reliable, easy-to-use DVR system that would be a good fit. If there are also options that support future camera upgrades, that would be ideal.

I totally get your frustration with the outdated Amcrest DVR system. When I was in a similar situation, I upgraded to a newer DVR system that offered better functionality and ease of use. I recommend looking into systems from brands like Reolink or Hikvision, which are known for their user-friendly interfaces and robust performance. These systems often support a mix of analog and IP cameras, so you could upgrade to higher-resolution cameras in the future without hassle. For instance, Reolink’s NVRs provide an easy setup and good support for both current and future camera technologies. Make sure to check if the new system supports your existing BNC cameras or if you’ll need adapters for any future upgrades.