Turning Old Cameras into a DIY Security System

Hey everyone! I’m wondering if anyone here has ever built a DIY security system using old cameras. I’ve recently collected a bunch of cameras from the early/mid-2000s, and I’m looking to learn from others who have done something similar. Specifically, I’d love to hear about your experience, any software or computer programs you used, and any additional equipment you needed to gather before starting.

Also, I’m hoping this project will involve some coding, as one of my main goals is to use this as a way to learn and problem-solve with different coding languages along the way.

TLDR: I’m trying to repurpose some 15-20 year old cameras into a DIY home security system. If you have any tips or resources, I’d really appreciate your input!

I’d recommend not wasting your time on this. Anyone advising you otherwise is also leading you astray. You could likely resell them instead.

Yeah, this doesn’t seem like a rewarding project. You’d likely have to spend a lot on hardware just to get these cameras integrated into a functional system, with little coding experience gained in the process. It might be a better use of money to invest in a few new network cameras and then focus on learning to code with machine vision models instead.

It would help to have more details about what you currently have, such as the exact make and models of the cameras. Without that, it’s difficult to determine what you might need. Also, how far are you looking to go with reviving these cameras? Are you just aiming for 24/7 recording, or are you interested in additional features like motion detection, object detection, or notifications?

24/7 recording so I can access the live feed. Not sure about the type of cameras TBH but the ones I’ve looked at do have AV ports

All of these cameras are likely analog, using coaxial cables with BNC connectors—an older technology that’s considered legacy at this point.

To digitize them, you’ll need the proper cables and an encoder or hybrid NVR. You can find commercial options, but there are also cheaper alternatives available on Amazon or AliExpress.

For viewing, you’d typically run video management software on a PC. There are plenty of free options, though recording often requires a paid license. Some powerful free software examples include Milestone and NX Witness. Milestone, in particular, offers a large technology partner ecosystem and extensive support for third-party developers.