Thinking of wiring/mounting 4 outdoor cameras with local storage to my truck. Any advice?

Recently, we had a major hit-and-run in our parking lot, and our F150 Lightning might be totaled. With this in mind, I’m considering beefing up security measures for the new vehicle. Unfortunately, in our area, there are plenty of reckless drivers, and such incidents are all too common. Adding to the challenge, the police often don’t investigate unless you have a detailed vehicle description.

I’m also looking to enhance security for our home and parked cars, as well as keeping an eye on the neighborhood in general. While I initially explored options like the Blink Outdoor system, they all require an active WiFi connection. So, I’ve shifted my focus to a 24/7 local storage setup with continuous recording cameras mounted to the truck bed to give a full 360° view. I plan to complement this with the Garmin Dashcam Live LTE for accident notifications and reports. If anything serious happens, I can review the continuous recordings for further details.

My main concern was power, but I’ve figured I can simply keep the DVR plugged into an outlet in the Lightning, which should solve that issue.

Now, I’m in need of help finding very small outdoor-rated cameras that can fit my needs. Essentially, I want to mount two on either side of the truck bed near the window.

Ultimately, I’m aiming for a security system similar to what Teslas offer but with local storage.

If anyone has advice or knows of cameras that fit my requirements of no WiFi but continuous power, please let me know! Your input would be greatly appreciated.

It sounds like you’re looking for compact, outdoor-rated cameras that can provide continuous recording without relying on WiFi connectivity, as well as being suitable for mounting on the sides of your truck bed. Here are a few options you might consider:

1. GoPro HERO10 Black with Media Mod: While primarily known as an action camera, the GoPro HERO10 Black can be set up for continuous recording when connected to external power. The Media Mod accessory adds additional features like an external microphone, making it a versatile option for outdoor recording.
  2. BlackVue DR750X-2CH LTE: This dashcam system offers dual-channel recording (front and rear) and has LTE connectivity for remote viewing and notifications. While it does have WiFi capability, it can also function without WiFi, recording to a local microSD card.
  3. Vantrue N4 Triple Dash Cam: The Vantrue N4 is a triple-channel dashcam system designed for 24/7 recording. It features front, inside, and rear cameras, providing comprehensive coverage. It records to a microSD card and can be hardwired for continuous power.
  4. Rexing V1LG Dual Channel Car Dash Cam: The Rexing V1LG is a dual-channel dashcam system with front and rear cameras. It records in 1080p HD and can be hardwired for continuous power. It’s compact and designed for outdoor use.
  5. AUKEY Dash Cam FHD 1080p Car Camera: This compact dashcam from AUKEY offers 1080p recording and can be powered continuously through the vehicle’s power outlet. It records to a microSD card and is suitable for outdoor use.

Before making a purchase, be sure to verify that the cameras you’re considering are compatible with continuous power sources and meet your specific requirements for outdoor use and recording quality. Additionally, consider factors such as weather resistance, durability, and ease of installation.

Wow, that sounds like a really tough situation with the hit-and-run incident. I can totally understand why you’d want to beef up security measures, especially with reckless drivers around. It’s scary how common these incidents are becoming.

Your idea of setting up a 24/7 local storage security system with continuous recording cameras sounds like a solid plan. It’s smart to consider options like the Garmin Dashcam Live LTE for extra peace of mind, especially with its accident notifications and detailed reports. And the fact that you’ve already sorted out the power issue by keeping the DVR plugged into an outlet in the Lightning is a great solution.

Now, for those outdoor-rated cameras, finding ones that fit your specific needs can be tricky, but it’s definitely doable. You mentioned wanting very small cameras that can be mounted near the window on either side of the truck bed. Have you looked into brands like BlackVue or Thinkware? They offer compact, outdoor-rated cameras that might just do the trick for you. And since they’re designed for continuous recording, they should fit perfectly into your setup without needing WiFi.

What things should you think about when picking cameras for continuous recording in a car, especially if you want them to work like Tesla’s security system with storage inside the car?