The best $25 I have spent on home automation: "dumb" wireless motion detector for my garage

I have been adding a lot of smart home devices lately that require a “Hey Google” to get the job done. So when I accidentally broke off my garage light bulb outlet, I was ready to go wild with a bunch of LED lights and a smart switch. :bulb:

Then I took a step back and realized all I needed was a motion detector light. No need to say, “Hey Google, turn on the garage lights.” Just sense movement and turn it on. :man_walking::bulb:

I grabbed a few linkable LED shop lights at Costco, strung them up, and plugged them into this GE wireless motion-sensing outlet. :gear:

I have had it up and running for about a month now, and it’s SO SATISFYING to just open the garage door and have the lights turn on instantly. They stay on for about 10 minutes and quickly turn back on if there’s movement. :clock3:

Most of my time in the garage is in and out, so having the motion detector is worth it. I have had it running for about a month, and so far, so good. We will see how long the sensor’s battery lasts and how frustrating it might be when it finally stops working. :hourglass_flowing_sand::battery:

Don’t overcomplicate things—sometimes simple automation can be outstanding! :sunglasses::sparkles:

Hi, A wireless motion detector can greatly improve both convenience and security in your garage. By automatically turning on lights when motion is detected, it saves energy and enhances safety. This small investment offers substantial benefits in terms of comfort and security.

I recently went through a similar experience with my garage setup. After adding numerous smart home gadgets and struggling with a broken light bulb outlet, I realized I was overcomplicating things. Instead of continuing with complex voice commands and smart switches, I opted for a straightforward solution: a motion detector light. I picked up some linkable LED shop lights and connected them to a GE wireless motion-sensing outlet I found at Costco. It’s been running smoothly for a month now—every time I open the garage door, the lights turn on automatically. They stay on for about 10 minutes and react to movement, which is perfect for my on-the-go garage routine. It’s been incredibly satisfying, and the simplicity of the setup makes it even better. Sometimes, the simplest solutions are the most effective!