Surveillance camera that doesn't use internet connection

Can you help me find a surveillance camera that doesn’t require an internet connection?

There are plenty of options on Amazon—just search for DVR cameras. But how does this relate to Wyze?

Trail cam, with SD card.

Most IP cameras with an NVR don’t require an internet connection. I use Reolink around my house, and I can connect both wired and wireless cameras directly to the NVR without internet. I chose to connect it to the internet so I can monitor from my phone, but that’s optional. Lorex is another popular brand that’s been around for years and offers similar functionality.

Search Amazon for security cameras, and you’ll find complete systems with 8 cameras, a DVR, and wiring for under $300. I bought the Xvem system, and it works well enough. The toughest part is running the cables. Just connect an HDMI cable from the DVR to your TV, and you’ll have your own private security system.

do they require use of an app to operate?

You can do that with a Wyze camera and an SD card.

Setup your camera though your phones mobile hotspot, and review footage on your phone

Wyze has been a terrible experience for me. Most of my SD cards, including SanDisk 32GB and 16GB Ultra to Extreme, as well as Lexar, go unrecognized. The cameras constantly disconnect from WiFi, and reconnecting them is a nightmare once there’s a problem. I’ve also had issues with their support. I just canceled my subscriptions because they were problematic too. While Wyze might work well in some areas, it’s been awful for me, especially with only 15-31 Mbps internet speeds.

I’ve had the Night Owl security system for over 4 years, and it’s been rock solid with no issues. The best part is that it doesn’t require an internet connection. If you want remote viewing on your phone, that’s an option, but I’ve never connected mine to any network. I bought the 4K Ultra HD hybrid system from Costco for about $299, which came with a DVR with 2TB of memory (enough for over a month of footage from all 6 cameras, even in a busy area), 4 wired cameras, and 2 wireless cameras. The night vision is fantastic, especially compared to other systems.

Living in Arizona, where the sun is brutal, I placed all my cameras under the eaves of my house to give them some protection. The whole system was straightforward to set up, even when installing a camera in a challenging spot due to the slope of our property. This Night Owl system is seriously one of the best investments I’ve ever made! Before finding this one, I bought and returned several other systems.

It literally came with everything except the viewing monitor, and I connected mine to both our living room TV and bedroom TV simultaneously. The system offers lots of connection options, has 2TB of recordable memory space, and includes everything you need—mounting supplies, wires/cables for each camera, even a mouse. Plus, if you ever run into issues or have questions, their 24/7 support is fantastic and will walk you through anything you need. This system has provided me with the best peace of mind, especially on a tight budget!

to be clear, it does not need an app to use or set up?

You are thinking about a cam corder. They were popular about 15 years ago.

A surveillance camera that doesn’t use an internet connection is a wired CCTV camera. It records footage locally to a DVR or NVR, and can be accessed through a direct connection rather than online.