Suggestions for a basic motion detector and siren setup?

I want to set up something in my garage to stop bike thefts but keep it easy to use daily.

My plan is to use a smart outlet to turn on from midnight to 6am (thefts around here are happening around 3am). The outlet would power a motion detector that triggers a loud siren or noise. I’ve tried to find a device that combines both a sensor and a siren, but no luck so far. I also want the whole thing to run off the outlet and not need batteries or WiFi (besides the outlet).

Basically, I need an alarm to go off if someone goes into my garage between midnight and 6am. Any ideas or better ways to do this?

You might want to check out basic motion detectors at a hardware store or online. There are simple ones that trigger alarms, and they don’t need to be too fancy. Good luck!

You could use a timer if not the smart outlet. Most motion detectors have a contact closure that triggers something loud. Just hook it up so the noisy thing only gets power when the detector goes off. Done!

Nathan said:
You could use a timer if not the smart outlet. Most motion detectors have a contact closure that triggers something loud. Just hook it up so the noisy thing only gets power when the detector goes off. Done!

I get the idea, but I’m having trouble finding motion detectors that plug into an outlet. Any chance you could share some examples or links to help me set this up?

Sophia_2 said:

Nathan said:

I get the idea, but I’m having trouble finding motion detectors that plug into an outlet. Any chance you could share some examples or links to help me set this up?

Most motion detectors run on 12v, so you’ll need a basic 12v power supply.

I’ve worked with these professionally. Want me to help you buy something?

Maybe this could work for you?

Dallas122 said:

I looked at a few like this, but I can’t tell if they automatically arm when they get power. I don’t think they do, but I could be wrong.

Sophia_2 said:

Dallas122 said:

I looked at a few like this, but I can’t tell if they automatically arm when they get power. I don’t think they do, but I could be wrong.

I checked for info on power outages, and people say the siren turns off after a power cut and needs to be turned back on manually. So, it might not be what you need.

Here’s what I ordered. Let’s see how it works!

I once used a motion-activated light (but left the sockets empty to confuse people) and hooked it up to a loud school bell. Worked great and scared a few people off!