Smoke detector keeps chirping even after battery change... any ideas?

We replaced the battery in our Kidde smoke detector, but it’s still chirping. It even chirps when the battery is out. The unit is new, so we’re not sure what’s causing this. Anyone else had this issue?

Had the same problem with my Kidde detector. Sometimes it helps to clean the vents with a vacuum. Dust can trigger false alarms.

Kai said:
Had the same problem with my Kidde detector. Sometimes it helps to clean the vents with a vacuum. Dust can trigger false alarms.

Thanks! I’ll give that a try. Maybe it’s dust, though the unit is new.

Is it definitely the smoke detector? I thought mine was acting up, but it turned out to be the carbon monoxide detector showing a low battery signal.

ashleyn said:
Is it definitely the smoke detector? I thought mine was acting up, but it turned out to be the carbon monoxide detector showing a low battery signal.

You might be right. We just realized it’s the carbon monoxide detector saying ‘lb,’ which I guess means low battery.

@Cruz
Yup, ‘lb’ means low battery. Swap the battery in that, and it should stop chirping.

If it’s still chirping even without a battery, it might be a faulty unit. Could be worth reaching out to the manufacturer for a replacement.

If you have both smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in the same room, sometimes they can get confused and cause false alarms. Make sure the CO detector is working properly.

You can also try resetting the unit by taking out the battery, waiting a minute, and then putting it back in. That sometimes clears the chirping.