Smart Lock Recommendation

I would like to replace the front door lock of my condo with a smart lock.

Currently, my lock and handle are combined, so I’d ideally need:

• A handle
  • Auto-lock functionality when I leave
  • Good battery life with easy battery replacement
  • Solid build quality
  • NFC or fingerprint unlocking capability
  • Compatibility with Android/Google Home (I don’t use an iPhone)

Thanks.

4 Likes

Top Smart Lock Recommendations:

• August Smart Lock Pro: Renowned for its sleek design and compatibility with various smart home systems. It features auto-lock functionality and offers both keypad and app-based access.
  • Schlage Encode Plus Smart Lock: Combines keypad, fingerprint, and app access, providing excellent battery life and robust build quality.
  • Yale Assure Lock 2: Celebrated for its reliability and compatibility with multiple smart home systems. It supports both keypad and app access.

Key Features to Consider:

• Compatibility: Ensure the lock is compatible with your existing door hardware and your Android phone.
  • Battery Life: Consider whether the battery is replaceable or rechargeable, and check its estimated lifespan.
  • Additional Features: Look for features such as auto-unlock, guest access, and activity logs.
  • Installation: Determine if the lock requires professional installation or if it can be installed as a DIY project.

Tips for Choosing:

• Read Reviews: Consult online reviews to gauge user experiences and identify potential issues.
  • Compare Features: List the essential features you need and compare different models.
  • Consider Your Lifestyle: Choose features that align with how you plan to use the lock.
  • Test It Out: If possible, try out different locks before making your final decision.
4 Likes

Ultraloq offers a “bundle” that includes the UBolt Pro with a push paddle handle: Store – U-tec

You can choose between a Z-Wave or a WiFi version of the bolt. I have a Pro WiFi model installed on our garage door, and I’ve been very pleased with it. My kids often argue over who gets to use their thumb to unlock it when we get home, which sometimes leads to having to lock and unlock it again so the other child can have a turn.

It has a few quirks, but overall, it performs exactly as I need it to.

3 Likes

I’ve installed UBolt Pros on all three of my external doors and can recommend them as well. They’re on sale for the next two days. I just received this SMS:

ULTRALOQ: :tada: Don’t Miss Our Prime Day October Event! :tada: Get 55% off on U-Bolt Pro WiFi! Use code 10UYUTEC for the best deal. Act fast, offer valid only on October 10-11.

3 Likes

And remember, it also locks automatically when you leave or enter.

3 Likes

I’d recommend Yale. I can’t comment on the WiFi version, but I’ve had good results with an older Z-Wave model. They now offer a new version with a fingerprint reader, though I don’t think they have NFC.

2 Likes

Their new lock includes Apple HomeKey (NFC). I’m hoping they’ll also introduce a Thread module, as I’d prefer to avoid using WiFi.

2 Likes

Yes, I noticed those in the marketing email they sent out. I wasn’t sure if HomeKey was NFC or an Apple-specific protocol. Since he mentioned Android, I thought it best not to complicate things.

1 Like

I have EUFY locks on all my doors now and am very pleased with them. While I can’t comment on their longevity yet, the installation, ease of use, and appearance are all excellent. I did have an issue with the coating crumbling on the keypad of my back garage door lock, but they quickly sent me a brand new replacement, upgrading me to a higher model since they no longer make the original one.

You can check them out here: Enhance Home Security & Control with Eufy Smart Lock - eufy CA | Prime Day is On! - eufy Canada

I also have a couple of their doorbell cameras and am happy with those as well. Again, I haven’t had them long enough to confirm their durability over the long term, but so far, they’re performing well. I wouldn’t be surprised if they outlast the Google products I’ve been replacing, as I’ve had issues with two doorbell cameras and two other cameras failing.

I have a Kwikset Halo keypad on Wi-Fi and love its features, except for the battery life. It’s more of a keyless entry lock than a smart lock since most functions, except locking, require the app. Unlocking with digital assistants is clunky due to the PIN requirement.

The keypad feature was my main interest, and it has held up well for three years. It eliminates worries about kids losing keys and allows me to set a PIN for neighbors to bring in packages when I’m away. The Wi-Fi is mainly for setting PINs and locking the door remotely, but frequent use of automation drains the battery, so I avoid it.