SimpliSafe or DIY for security setup?

Hey everyone! I know this question gets asked a lot, but I’m trying to figure out what’s best for my home security needs and could use some advice.

I’m looking to add some smart security devices to my home, such as:

• Smart CO/smoke detectors
  • Outdoor cameras
  • Smart doorbell
  • Indoor camera
  • Possibly glass break or door sensors

Right now, I use Google Home minis to control my smart plugs (Kasa brand) and lights, but I don’t mind if the security setup is on a different app. The main thing I care about is getting notified if something like a fire happens when I’m not home, because I have two pets.

So, should I go with a system like SimpliSafe for everything, or should I buy individual devices and put it all together myself? I’m open to brand suggestions!

Also, I have decent Wi-Fi—anything I need to consider to make sure all these devices don’t overload my network?

You should check with your local police department to see if they still respond to SimpliSafe alarms. Some places have stopped responding due to the high rate of false alarms.

Charlie said:
You should check with your local police department to see if they still respond to SimpliSafe alarms. Some places have stopped responding due to the high rate of false alarms.

That’s something I hadn’t thought of! Do you know if there are any DIY systems that police still respond to?

@Jack
A lot of departments won’t respond to DIY systems because of all the false alarms. It’s worth checking with them first.

We ended up going with Cove. It integrates with Google, and we already had Nest Yale locks that we really like. Simplisafe was an option we considered, but too many people we know have had issues with it.

@Blake
Thanks! I’ve used Nest products before and liked them. What do you think of Eufy cameras? I’ve heard mixed things about them.

Jack said:
@Blake
Thanks! I’ve used Nest products before and liked them. What do you think of Eufy cameras? I’ve heard mixed things about them.

Our Eufy doorbell cameras have worked well so far. The video is clear, and there isn’t much delay. We have one on battery and one wired. Just keep in mind, cameras alone aren’t great for security; it’s the sensors and alarms that really matter. Cameras are more of a convenience.

I spent a long time deciding, and I ended up going with SimpliSafe. It’s easy to install yourself, and they provide all the hardware. I’ve got door sensors, glass break sensors, and a driveway alert, and I love that I can move the system when I need to. No holes drilled—everything’s attached with 3M tape. Plus, it’s portable, so I’ll take it with me when I move.

@Cedric
That’s really helpful to know, thank you!

Just a heads-up, SimpliSafe can be jammed.

Edgar said:

Thanks for the heads-up! What would you recommend instead?

Jack said:

Edgar said:

Thanks for the heads-up! What would you recommend instead?

You might want to look into DSC wired or wireless systems from a local installer. For cameras, I’d recommend a POE NVR system—Dahua or Reolink are good brands.