Should I go for a security system or just use the ring stuff?

Hey everyone, I just got a new house and I’m thinking about getting a security system. Around here, ADT, CPI, and Vivint are pretty popular. My parents have CPI, and while it works, the camera outside has some issues now and then. But it’s only $40 a month, so it’s been decent overall.

The previous owner left a ring pro doorbell and a ring floodlight camera, both already set up and kind of expensive if I had to buy them myself.

Should I just get the ring alarm system and pay the $200 per year for it? Or should I go with ADT since their gear is Google-based and runs $40-50 monthly?

Edit: Forgot to mention, I’d like to have 2 door sensors (front and back), cameras for the front and back outside, a doorbell camera, and a proper alarm system. The house is about 4000 square feet, and we are in SC.

@Gerald
Check out Surety, they have an IQ hub and you can set it up with wireless sensors on your own. It’s about $20 a month for monitoring without a contract. ADT tends to lock you in for a while, and their equipment is basically the same as what Surety offers.

I’d stick with the ring cameras since they’re already there, even though you don’t need a subscription for them. But I’d go for a better intrusion detection system. Ring is okay but not top-notch, and you’d basically be starting from scratch. I’ve had good experience with alarm.com and their Qolsys panel. If you’re up for self-installing, monitoring can be as cheap as $20/month from Surety Home.

Ring isn’t that great unless you’re into false alarms all the time.

I wouldn’t go with ADT. $40/month for monitoring is on the higher side. I pay $13/month for 4G LTE with a fiber backup. It’s fully UL listed and monitored.

Steve4 said:
I wouldn’t go with ADT. $40/month for monitoring is on the higher side. I pay $13/month for 4G LTE with a fiber backup. It’s fully UL listed and monitored.

Who are you with? Do you get interactive services as well?

1 Like

@Bennett
I’m using an Envisalink Duo device with my Honeywell panel. EyezON is my monitoring company, and they work through HSMC, which is a large company. I host my own automation system, so I didn’t need to rely on remote access through them.

@Steve4
That’s a pretty good deal. Do they bug you for things like low battery or minor issues?

Bennett said:
@Steve4
That’s a pretty good deal. Do they bug you for things like low battery or minor issues?

I think so, but I monitor all that myself using Home Assistant, so I get direct alerts. (Home Assistant is a smart home platform.)

1 Like

@Steve4
I use Home Assistant too and it’s connected to my Envisalink. It’s been working great. The DSC Neo is solid, but the lack of integration really turns me off.

1 Like

Bennett said:
@Steve4
I use Home Assistant too and it’s connected to my Envisalink. It’s been working great. The DSC Neo is solid, but the lack of integration really turns me off.

Yeah, same here. It’s annoying to see so many people recommending it when it’s such a closed-off system.