Seeking Recommendations - Motion detecting light for garage

My garage door opener light only stays on for a few seconds before going off. The whole system is old and needs replacing, but it still opens and closes fine, so I don’t want to spend money on a new one just yet.

I want the regular garage lights to turn on when the car pulls in or the door opens. I was thinking a basic motion-sensing light switch might work. Does anyone have recommendations for this or better options?

Consider getting a Lutron Maestro Motion Sensor Switch or a Leviton IPS02 Occupancy Sensor Switch for your garage lighting. They’re easy to install and will turn on automatically when you drive in or open the door.

Hi Arthur… A basic motion-sensing light switch sounds like a good option for your garage lighting needs. It can automatically turn on the lights when motion is detected, such as when your car pulls in or the garage door opens. Look for motion sensors that are designed for indoor use and are compatible with the type of lights you have (LED, fluorescent, etc.). Brands like Lutron, Leviton, and Eaton provide reliable motion-sensing switches that are easy to install and program. Alternatively, if you prefer a more integrated smart home solution, you could explore options like smart light bulbs or smart switches that can be controlled via an app or voice assistant, allowing for more customization and control over your garage lighting. This could also pave the way for future automation or integration with other smart devices in your home.