Seeking Privacy-Focused, Wireless Outdoor Security Cameras for a Rental Property

I’m in the market for a couple of outdoor security cameras for a rental property, and I realize my requirements might be a bit challenging. I’m looking for something that is entirely wireless—both for power and connectivity—because the wiring in the building is unconventional, and I’d like the option to take the cameras with me when I move out. Ideally, these cameras would run on battery or solar power (though sunlight is limited in my location), and they would need to connect via WiFi or a similar network.

I’m aware that crime is pretty rare where I am, so while I would prefer 24/7 recording, I’m okay with not having it. However, I do have a lot of trees and animals around, which could affect motion-triggered recordings. My main concern with popular options like Ring is their policy of sharing recordings with third parties, which I’m not comfortable with. I’ve heard about NVR systems like Reolink, which sound promising, but I’m not sure how to find truly wireless cameras that would work with such a setup.

I’m looking for cameras that are reasonably priced and don’t require a subscription. It would be great if they had some onboard storage in case of connection drops and offered secure remote access to the footage via a phone or similar device. Any suggestions or advice on how to securely set this up would be much appreciated! Thanks for your help!

If you’re exploring options for wireless security cameras, I recommend looking into ONVIF-compliant cameras. These cameras offer the flexibility to self-host your NVR, either on-site or off-site, which is great for maintaining privacy. Additionally, ONVIF compliance allows for integration with various smart home platforms and avoids being locked into a single company’s ecosystem.

That said, it’s important to note that most battery-operated cameras do not support ONVIF, which could limit your options if you’re looking for a completely wireless solution. It’s worth exploring further to find the best fit for your needs.