Seeking Advice - AC to USB Power Module for Security Camera

Hi everyone,

I’m setting up a Wi-Fi security camera outside my garden to monitor an alleyway door. The camera is powered by USB, so I’m thinking of using an outdoor-rated junction box with a USB power module to connect it to an outlet about 20 meters away.

I have similar cameras installed near a power outlet, and when I use more than one 5-meter USB extension cable, they start flashing orange, which means they aren’t getting enough power.

From what I understand, I should be able to use standard electrical wire (1.5mm) connected to a plug that stays permanently plugged into a kitchen socket (UK, 230v AC). I plan to run the cable to where the camera will be, connect the blue and brown wires to the USB power module, and plug the camera into the module’s USB port. I’m unsure whether to use a 1A, 2A, or 3A fuse since I’m not completely sure about the AC to DC amps conversion.

I’m looking for advice on whether this setup will work. Just a note: I’ve already tried using PoE to USB, but the cameras flash orange after about 6 meters, indicating they aren’t getting enough power. I’ve tried various cables, but the issue persists.

Please note that I’m not looking to replace the cameras. We chose wireless to avoid running cables through our newly finished house, and we have a fast Wi-Fi mesh setup. The cameras are already purchased and past the return window, so we want to make these work.

It seems like “security” and a £6 power supply don’t really match up. I’d recommend looking into something more reliable, like a “Meanwell” brand power supply. I’m in the USA, and I would never buy a power supply that wasn’t UL listed, not just built to or similar. In the UK, CE certification might be acceptable.

It looks like your main issue is voltage drop over long cable runs. I’d suggest using one of those USB connectors with thicker wire. While 1.5mm wire will work, you might even manage with 1mm wire (which has about 0.021 ohms per meter). Just remember, when calculating voltage drop, it happens on both wires.

Do you know how much current your camera requires?

I like your solution but I don’t want to spend too much on the power solution for this camera because there is already one of the cameras covering the garden. This one for the alleyway is just so I can see if anyone steals my bins tbh. (In the UK, you take the waste bins out of your back garden once a week and the local council employs people to come empty them) Because if you lose one of the bins it is sometimes up to £60 to replace them. (approx USD$80)

The camera comes with a 5V 1A (5w) power brick, however, when using the usb extension, I have to use the built in ports on the socket which are 2.1A (5V DC) or else the cameras won’t turn on.

I might use the method you’ve mentioned for another one I’m installing on first floor level (I think that would translate to second floor in the US because you don’t have ground floor)