Recommended POE cameras for a self-hosted sectors system?

Magdlina said:

richardblack said:
Magdlina said:
SentinelSanctuary said:
Arthur said:
SentinelSanctuary said:
I’m speccing out a system for a house I’m building and wondering what POE cameras people here recommend?

I’m all-in with Linux so will probably be hooking them up to Shinobi (I see Blue Iris is highly regarded here and I like to support developers but I won’t install Windows) for recording, etc.

I will be installing POE CAT7 drops to various locations for the chosen cameras.

Isn’t Cat 7 a bit overkill?

Undoubtedly at present, but I’m running it everywhere else and who knows what I may want to add in the future?

Cat 7 is not a real standard. Use Cat 6A. Also, don’t forget that your patch panels and keystone jacks will need to be rated for 6A as well.

Cat 6A is indeed overkill for cameras from a bandwidth perspective. Cat 5e could support 8K cameras. Also, unlike a room drop, you are likely never going to use a camera drop for anything other than a camera due to the locations. That means Cat 5e is all your home cameras will need for probably decades.

That said, it can be worth running Cat 6A anyway because it is more efficient in power delivery due to larger gauge wires.

One thing to consider: while Cat 6A offers better efficiency for power delivery, it is much thicker. It can be (just can - depends where) a major pain to run Cat 6A due to larger minimum bending radius/less lines to fit in conduit.

Yeah, it’s also a pain to terminate.

True, but even for Cat 5e, I prefer punch-down keystone and pre-made patch cords from there.

richardblack said:

Magdlina said:
richardblack said:
Magdlina said:
SentinelSanctuary said:
Arthur said:
SentinelSanctuary said:
I’m speccing out a system for a house I’m building and wondering what POE cameras people here recommend?

I’m all-in with Linux so will probably be hooking them up to Shinobi (I see Blue Iris is highly regarded here and I like to support developers but I won’t install Windows) for recording, etc.

I will be installing POE CAT7 drops to various locations for the chosen cameras.

Undoubtedly at present, but I’m running it everywhere else and who knows what I may want to add in the future?

Cat 7 is not a real standard. Use Cat 6A. Also, don’t forget that your patch panels and keystone jacks will need to be rated for 6A as well.

Cat 6A is indeed overkill for cameras from a bandwidth perspective. Cat 5e could support 8K cameras. Also, unlike a room drop, you are likely never going to use a camera drop for anything other than a camera due to the locations. That means Cat 5e is all your home cameras will need for probably decades.

That said, it can be worth running Cat 6A anyway because it is more efficient in power delivery due to larger gauge wires.

One thing to consider: while Cat 6A offers better efficiency for power delivery, it is much thicker. It can be (just can - depends where) a major pain to run Cat 6A due to larger minimum bending radius/less lines to fit in conduit.

Yeah, it’s also a pain to terminate.

True, but even for Cat 5e, I prefer punch-down keystone and pre-made patch cords from there.

Yeah, keystones everywhere possible. But if you’re drilling an exterior wall hole for a camera, I’d rather it be just big enough for the wire, which means you’re terminating an RJ45 on the outside.

Magdlina said:

SentinelSanctuary said:
Arthur said:
SentinelSanctuary said:

Thanks for that. I sourced Cat 6A cable, and it is rated for 750MHz. Isn’t the Cat 7 standard 600MHz?

SentinelSanctuary said:

Magdlina said:
SentinelSanctuary said:
Arthur said:
SentinelSanctuary said:

Thanks for that. I sourced Cat 6A cable, and it is rated for 750MHz. Isn’t the Cat 7 standard 600MHz?

The issue is that Cat 7 is not a standard at all. Sure, vendors may agree and make it similar, but it’s not a strict set of specifications from standards bodies like IEEE or TIA.

Cat 6A is rated for 10GBASE-T. If you buy from a reputable source that abides by standards and terminate properly, then you will have 10G speeds. There is no proper standard for Cat 7. Vendors can do whatever they want. Maybe you will get better speeds, but what do you need more than 10G for? 12G? 15G? There’s no end device that supports that, etc.

If you want 1GBASE-T, you can do Cat 5e.
If you want 10GBASE-T, you can do Cat 6A.
If you want 25GBASE-T, you can do Cat 8.
There’s no place for Cat 7.

Magdlina said:

SentinelSanctuary said:
Magdlina said:
SentinelSanctuary said:
Arthur said:
SentinelSanctuary said:

The issue is that Cat 7 is not a standard at all. Sure, vendors may agree and make it similar, but it’s not a strict set of specifications from standards bodies like IEEE or TIA.

Cat 6A is rated for 10GBASE-T. If you buy from a reputable source that abides by standards and terminate properly, then you will have 10G speeds. There is no proper standard for Cat 7. Vendors can do whatever they want. Maybe you will get better speeds, but what do you need more than 10G for? 12G? 15G? There’s no end device that supports that, etc.

Thanks for that. I have some other 10GB stuff that claimed to be Cat 7. I didn’t know it wasn’t a standard.

SentinelSanctuary said:

Magdlina said:
SentinelSanctuary said:
Magdlina said:
SentinelSanctuary said:
Arthur said:
SentinelSanctuary said:

Thanks for that. I have some other 10GB stuff that claimed to be Cat 7. I didn’t know it wasn’t a standard.

No problem, you’re not alone!

Arthur said:

SentinelSanctuary said:

[deleted]

SentinelSanctuary said:

Arthur said:
SentinelSanctuary said:

[deleted]

Depends. Do I have enough cash for a full tank or just enough to get me through today?

WilliamMia said:

SentinelSanctuary said:
Arthur said:
SentinelSanctuary said:

[deleted]

Depends. Do I have enough cash for a full tank or just enough to get me through today?

Exactly. So if you have enough cash right now to get Cat 7, why not?

Jourdan said:

WilliamMia said:
SentinelSanctuary said:
Arthur said:
SentinelSanctuary said:

[deleted]

Exactly. So if you have enough cash right now to get Cat 7, why not?

Because Cat 7 is all marketing bunk. “It’s one better than Cat 6!” Doesn’t mean anything.

It’s an older standard than Cat 6A and doesn’t really offer any benefits, and it’s not accepted by the IEEE, EIA, or TIA.

SentinelSanctuary said:

Arthur said:
SentinelSanctuary said:

[deleted]

It’s not even an accepted standard. Residential hardware is not even supporting 10Gb all that much right now. Cat 6A can handle 10Gb, so what more future-proofing do you want?

SentinelSanctuary said:

The Hookup’s Finding the BEST PoE Security Camera under $150. (Jul 14, 2019)

Also: BEST 4K PoE Security Camera under $200 (Apr 22, 2020)

SentinelSanctuary said:

Axis. You get what you pay for.

SentinelSanctuary said:

SentinelSanctuary said:

Axis. You get what you pay for.

I’m set up on Axis 211 and 215 through iSpy. Been awesome for 3 years and 5 years in a 24/7 business setting.

SentinelSanctuary said:

Amcrest and Zoneminder here.
I tried a variety of things and this is the best I found.

Also of note, typically IP cams are 10/100M. Pick up an old HP 10/100 PoE switch off eBay for ~$40. Cheaper than injectors or 1G PoE.

Edit: linky

Something like this: HP ProCurve (J9624A#ABA) Rack-Mountable Ethernet Switch for sale online | eBay

LocksmithLeo said:

SentinelSanctuary said:

Also of note, typically IP cams are 10/100M. Pick up an old HP 10/100 PoE switch off eBay for ~$40. Cheaper than injectors or 1G PoE.

Something like this: HP ProCurve (J9624A#ABA) Rack-Mountable Ethernet Switch for sale online | eBay

What’s the noise level on a switch like this?

Charles said:

LocksmithLeo said:
SentinelSanctuary said:

What’s the noise level on a switch like this?

Not too bad at all. It has one fan for some airflow. It’s nothing like a 1 or 2U server.

SentinelSanctuary said:

I’m also all Linux, but I like BI and it’s broad camera support so much that I bought a $5 Windows eBay license and run it in a VM.

SentinelSanctuary said:

I have a mix of Dahua, Hikvision, and Reolink.

I would rank them in that order of features/quality.

SentinelSanctuary said:

Unifi, the image quality on the 4K cams is great.