Recommended POE cameras for a self-hosted sectors system?

I’m speccing out a system for a house I’m building and wondering what POE cameras people here recommend?

I’m all-in with Linux so will probably be hooking them up to Shinobi (I see Blue Iris is highly regarded here and I like to support developers but I won’t install Windows) for recording, etc.

I will be installing POE CAT7 drops to various locations for the chosen cameras.

I’m running Duhua (Amcrest) 4k turrets and a handful of wyze cams recording to Zoneminder running in a Ubuntu LXC on Proxmox. It works well.

leecole3 said:
I’m running Duhua (Amcrest) 4k turrets and a handful of wyze cams recording to Zoneminder running in a Ubuntu LXC on Proxmox. It works well.

I was going to say Amcrest or Duhua too. My experience has been good with those cameras. Just remember to segment them so they don’t phone home.

leecole3 said:

OP, this but Shinobi over Zoneminder. Make sure that you isolate your cameras from any real networks and deny them internet access. It’s very important that you shouldn’t trust any PoE camera save a small handful of brands.

leecole3 said:

I also have a dozen Dahua’s running for a few years. Highly recommend the cameras, they are a great bang for your buck.

leecole3 said:

Are the Wyze cameras using the custom firmware?

Stephen said:

leecole3 said:

Wyze has a firmware (maybe beta) with rtsp support.

leecole3 said:

Stephen said:
leecole3 said:

I use the rtsp firmware with motioneye piped into homeassistant and am very pleased

Padukone said:

leecole3 said:
Stephen said:
leecole3 said:

I use the rtsp firmware with motioneye piped into homeassistant and am very pleased

Which cameras are you using and would you recommend them? I’m looking to do a similar setup.

Lashun said:

Padukone said:
leecole3 said:
Stephen said:
leecole3 said:

Which cameras are you using and would you recommend them? I’m looking to do a similar setup.

Wyze cams with rtsp firmware.

It’s either Shinobi or Zoneminder (I use the latter).

I’d suggest going for cameras that support the ONVIF standard, you’ll have an easier time using them with your software of choice. It’s literally a one-button press deal to link an ONVIF camera with both programs.

ProtectivePam said:

I’d suggest going for cameras that support the ONVIF standard, you’ll have an easier time using them with your software of choice. It’s literally a one-button press deal to link an ONVIF camera with both programs.

I use Zoneminder too. Do you have any reliability issues with it? I find that it stops working randomly and it’s usually pretty vague as to how to fix it.

SentinelSecurityCirc said:

ProtectivePam said:

I use Zoneminder too. Do you have any reliability issues with it? I find that it stops working randomly and it’s usually pretty vague as to how to fix it.

Tell us YOUR setup so they can differentiate from theirs and help you spot potential sources of problems.

Amcrest is decent and not overly expensive.

>(I see Blue Iris is highly regarded here and I like to support developers but I won’t install Windows)

Seriously, why does nearly every IPCam recording solution only run on Windows? It’s the weirdest thing.

Michael said:

>(I see Blue Iris is highly regarded here and I like to support developers but I won’t install Windows)

Seriously, why does nearly every IPCam recording solution only run on Windows? It’s the weirdest thing.

[deleted]

SentinelSanctuary said:

Michael said:

[deleted]

It’s interesting because so much business/enterprise stuff runs on Linux already. But I suppose they considered it and didn’t think it was worth the time.

SentinelSanctuary said:
[deleted]

This is exactly the group that Ubiquity targeted with their UniFi Camera series.

Decent quality cameras, 100% PoE, managed by a Linux NVR software or using their hardware device.

Ronald said:

SentinelSanctuary said:
[deleted]

This is exactly the group that Ubiquity targeted with their UniFi Camera series.

Decent quality cameras, 100% PoE, managed by a Linux NVR software or using their hardware device.

Their NVR software is pretty bad. Super annoying to run in a docker. I had to spin up a whole VM for it instead, or it kept putting recordings in the wrong place/losing where it was saving recordings.

Also, just realizing today that updating the SSL cert for UniFi-video is a huge pain in the neck. It’s not supported officially by Ubiquiti. Makes accessing the video outside your network a hassle.

TomHenry said:

Ronald said:
SentinelSanctuary said:
[deleted]

Their NVR software is pretty bad. Super annoying to run in a docker. I had to spin up a whole VM for it instead, or it kept putting recordings in the wrong place/losing where it was saving recordings.

Also, just realizing today that updating the SSL cert for UniFi-video is a huge pain in the neck. It’s not supported officially by Ubiquiti. Makes accessing the video outside your network a hassle.

I’d never run a NVR with anything else anyway. It’s a lot of disk IOPS.

TomHenry said:

Ronald said:
SentinelSanctuary said:
[deleted]

[deleted]