Recommendations for installing a security system

Hey guys :blush: I am closing on a newly built home in October or November, and I might need to travel in December. Since the house is in a new location and I don’t know any neighbors who can watch it, I need to install a security system. :house: What kind of wiring is needed, and which security system would you recommend? I am a bit lost here so any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

I highly recommend using hardwired PoE cameras rather than cloud-based options. Hikvision cameras paired with Blue Iris offer a reliable setup. :100:

Installing a security system is a wise decision. Here’s a guide to help you choose the right one:

Types of Security Systems:

• Wired Systems: Offer a high level of security but require professional installation due to wiring.
  • Wireless Systems: Easy to install and flexible, though they might have limitations in range and battery life.
  • Cellular Systems: Independent of Wi-Fi or internet, providing reliable connectivity.
  • Hybrid Systems: Combine wired and wireless components for the best of both worlds.

Essential Components:

• Control Panel: The central hub of the system.
  • Motion Sensors: Detect movement within your home.
  • Door/Window Sensors: Protect entry points.
  • Keypads: Allow you to arm and disarm the system.
  • Cameras: Optional but highly recommended for visual monitoring.

Additional Considerations:

• Professional Monitoring: For added peace of mind, consider a professional monitoring service.
  • Smart Home Integration: Some systems integrate with smart home devices like thermostats and lights.
  • DIY vs. Professional Installation: Assess your technical skills and time constraints to decide between DIY or professional installation.

Popular Security System Brands:

• ADT: Offers a wide range of packages and professional installation.
  • Vivint: Known for smart home integration and professional monitoring.
  • Ring: Offers DIY wireless systems with various components.
  • SimpliSafe: Another popular DIY option with a focus on simplicity.

Before Making a Decision, Consider:

• Your Budget: Determine how much you’re willing to spend on the system.
  • Home Size and Layout: This will influence the number of sensors you need.
  • Desired Level of Security: Decide if you need basic protection or advanced features like video surveillance.

Choosing the right security system involves evaluating your needs and preferences to ensure you get the best protection for your home.

Vivint offers a robust security system with professional installation and monitoring. Its smart home integration is a significant advantage if you are looking for a comprehensive setup.