Recommend Some Good Options for Upgrading an Old Wired ADT System?

Hey y’all…

I recently moved into a house that’s fully wired with an old ADT system (Safewatch 3000). It has door, window, and motion sensors, along with two pretty outdated panels. ADT quoted me $80 a month for monitoring, which feels way too high for what I need.

I’m not really interested in professional monitoring; I just want to be able to keep track of what’s happening (doors opening, windows, etc.) through my phone. Ideally, I’d like to convert the system into something more modern and smart without breaking the bank—I’m not keen on spending almost a grand a year.

Has anyone here done a similar upgrade? What are some good, affordable options to convert this system to a smart system? I’d appreciate any advice or recommendations on equipment or DIY solutions that won’t require me to start from scratch.

Converting your old ADT system into a smart home setup can be a cost-effective way to upgrade your home. Here are some options to consider:

Reusing Existing Sensors:

• Z-Wave or Zigbee Hub: Invest in a Z-Wave or Zigbee hub to integrate your existing sensors. Popular choices include SmartThings, Hubitat, and Wink.
  • Sensor Compatibility: Verify whether your ADT sensors are compatible with these protocols. If not, some sensors may need to be replaced.

Adding Smart Features:

• Smart Cameras: Enhance security with smart cameras. Consider options like Wyze, Blink, or Arlo.
  • Smart Locks: Upgrade to smart locks for keyless entry and remote control.
  • Smart Plugs: Use smart plugs to control lights and appliances remotely.

DIY Installation:

• Follow Instructions: Adhere closely to the setup instructions for connecting sensors and configuring the hub.
  • Test Thoroughly: Ensure all components function correctly and reliably.

Additional Tips:

• Research Compatibility: Confirm the compatibility of your ADT sensors with various hubs before purchasing.
  • Start Small: Begin with a few key components and expand your system over time.
  • Consider DIY Alternatives: Explore open-source options like Home Assistant for a more customized setup.