Power supply setup for DSC PowerSeries Neo… need advice

I’m working with an HS2064 setup, and here’s the current layout:

• 1x TL280RE internet communicator
  • 1x HSM2108 zone expander
  • 3x HS2LCDP keypads
  • 4x BV-501GB motion/glass sensors
  • 4x door/window sensors

I’ve been having issues with false alarms on the motion sensors, and it seems like I might be drawing too much power. I just got the HSM2300 power supply module, and now I’m trying to figure out the best way to distribute the power.

From what I understand, both the HS2064 and HSM2300 need separate batteries and transformers. The TL280RE has to pull its power from the HS2064. So, should I be connecting all the keypads and motion sensors to the HSM2300? Any advice?

You could try adding up the milliamp draw for each part to see where you’re going over the limit. If I were you, I’d move just the motion sensors that are giving you false alarms over to the HSM2300 and leave the rest connected to the main panel. That might fix your problem.

Just move the motion sensors to the new power supply. Everything else seems fine.

Here’s a quick breakdown of the power draw:

• TL280RE: ~100mA standby, 400mA in alarm
  • HSM2108: 35mA
  • HS2LCDP: 100mA each (300mA total)
  • BV-501GB: 38mA each (152mA total)
  • HSM2300: 40mA (yes, it still draws power from the panel)

Total draw when in alarm: 927mA, but the panel only supplies 700mA. So, even though it’s fine when not in alarm, that’s probably where the issue is during an alarm event.

I’d suggest moving all 3 keypads to the HSM2300 to free up some power. Also, check the motion detectors for any bugs or spiders, and seal any wiring holes with silicone or something similar to prevent them from causing false alarms.