Power backup for security cameras during power outage

Is there anyway to ensure a wired camera system keeps running during a power outage?

You can use something called a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply). It’s like a backup power source with batteries. The batteries charge when there’s electricity, and they kick in to power your devices when the electricity goes out. Just make sure to set it up based on how much power your devices need and how long you think the power might be out.

1 Like

If your devices operate on 12 volts DC, you can use a deep cycle sealed battery to keep them running. For instance, my Synology Network Attached Storage device, which records for my cameras, and my cameras themselves, all run on 12 volts. Instead of using a regular UPS, you could have the devices powered by their usual AC power supplies under normal conditions. Then, you could connect a battery through isolation diodes. These diodes would ensure that if the power goes out, the battery kicks in, providing uninterrupted power to the cameras and recording device at 12 volts. This setup can save you the cost of a UPS and is more energy-efficient. You can manually charge the 12-volt battery every month or keep a trickle charger on it.

1 Like