Outdoor Security Camera Suggestions Needed

Hey folks,

I’m looking to install an outdoor security camera at my home to improve safety and keep an eye on things when I’m not around. There are so many options out there, from wired to wireless, with different features and price points.

Could anyone recommend a good outdoor security camera that’s reliable and provides clear video quality? I’m interested in something that can withstand different weather conditions and has night vision capabilities.

Also, any tips on installation or specific brands/models that you’ve had good experiences with would be really helpful.

Thanks …

1 Like

Selecting a security camera might be challenging! Here’s an easier way to think about it. Security cameras can be connected or wireless. Wired ones are more reliable, but require professional installation. Wireless ones are easier to set up but may not operate as well. For video quality, consider 1080p as a minimum, but higher resolution means sharper footage. Night vision enables you to see at night. Weather resistance is essential for survival in the outdoors. Some cameras can even detect movement, allow you to chat through them, and save footage online. There are other options, including Nest Cam (simple to install, excellent video), Blink Outdoor (cheap, battery-powered), and others. You can install them yourself or hire a professional.

Wired offers a steady connection, but wireless is a breeze to install. Make sure it’s weatherproof (IP rating) and has night vision. Wyze Cam Outdoor is a budget-friendly pick with good quality, while Nest Cam (battery) offers fancy features like person detection. Both have great reviews for clear video and night vision. Installation is usually easy, but YouTube has tutorials for any model.

Wired vs. Wireless:

Wired: Wired security cameras provide a stable connection and continuous power, making them ideal if you have existing wiring nearby for installation.

Wireless: Wireless cameras are easier to install and rely on Wi-Fi signal strength. Battery-powered options offer flexibility in placement but require periodic recharging.

Weather Resistance:

Choose a camera with an IP (Ingress Protection) rating that indicates its resistance to dust and water. For outdoor use, opt for at least an IP65 rating.

Night Vision:

Most outdoor security cameras feature night vision, but the range and quality vary. Consider your nighttime visibility needs.

Other Features:

Resolution: Higher resolutions like 1080p (HD) or higher offer clearer video quality.

Motion Detection: Look for cameras with motion detection capabilities for triggering recordings or alerts.

Field of View: A wider field of view allows you to monitor more area with a single camera.

Audio Recording: Some cameras support two-way audio communication for interaction through the camera.

Popular Outdoor Security Cameras:

Nest Cam (battery):
Pros: Easy installation, reliable, good video quality, person/vehicle detection.
Cons: Requires Nest Aware subscription for some features, limited storage without subscription.

Ring Spotlight Cam Wired Pro:
Pros: Built-in spotlight, excellent night vision, two-way audio, works with Alexa.
Cons: Requires wired connection, subscription for cloud storage and some features.

Arlo Ultra 2:
Pros: Excellent 4K video quality, weather-resistant, wire-free or wired option, long battery life.
Cons: Higher cost, subscription needed for cloud storage and some features.

Wyze Cam Outdoor v2:
Pros: Affordable, weatherproof, basic features, local storage option with microSD card.
Cons: Lower video quality, limited cloud storage without subscription.

Installation Tips:

Placement: Choose locations based on monitoring needs and ensure good Wi-Fi signal strength for wireless cameras.

Height: Mount cameras high to prevent tampering and achieve optimal views.

Angle: Adjust camera angles to cover desired areas effectively.

Night Vision: Position cameras away from bright lights to enhance night vision capabilities.

1 Like

I would choose the RLC-811A or RLC-810 with 256GB high endurance micro SD cards. Additionally, I would advise you to get a 100–200 watt stretch light model to install at the rear of your home. Your cameras will benefit greatly from that.

They only send the refurbished models, not sure where you live.Australia and Germany: a.aliexpress.com/_mP9UD4K

You will notice a difference if you get an LED bulb like this one.