Outdoor security camera motion detection

There’s been a series of car break-ins in my neighborhood over the past two days, including our house and most others on our road. While I’m not overly concerned about my own car, my father’s convertible is a prime target. I’m looking for an outdoor camera that provides clear imaging, wide coverage, and reliable motion detection alerts that won’t trigger for every passing tree. I’m also open to subscription-based options. I’d rather invest in a subscription than risk having to replace a car that my father considers irreplaceable. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear about the break-ins in your neighborhood; that must be quite unsettling. For your father’s convertible, I’d recommend looking into cameras like the Arlo Pro 4 Spotlight Camera which offers 2K video quality and a wide field of view. It also has enhanced motion detection that can differentiate between objects, so it won’t alert you for trivial movements like trees swaying. Another good option could be the Ring Stick Up Cam Pro , known for its reliable motion detection and clear imagery. Both of these options come with subscription plans that provide additional features like extended cloud storage. It’s definitely a wise choice to invest in a good security system to protect something as valuable as your father’s car.

1 Like

The 2K video quality and wide field of view of the Arlo Pro 4 Spotlight Camera sound perfect for capturing clear details.

The advanced motion detection that avoids false alarms is a big plus too - no one wants to be woken up by a tree swaying in the wind

1 Like

For reliable all-around performance, the Arlo Pro 4 gets high marks, with weather resistance, night vision, and person detection to avoid false alarms from animals. But if you’re on a budget, Wyze Cam Outdoor v2 offers great bang for your buck, with long battery life and local storage for recordings (in case your internet goes out). Just keep in mind it might pick up more movement from small critters.

I would recommend the Wyze Cam Pan V3 for the following reasons.

1. Its price. At less than $40 you should be able to afford one, although, I don’t know if its price has increased. But you will get a lot of features at that cheap price.
  2. It is also weatherproof.
  3. It has a 360° horizontal turn plus a 180° vertical tilt and a field view of 120°
  4. Wyze also has good motion tracking and can audibly capture noises.
  5. If you hate the night vision it also has a feature for a color night vision too.
  6. I also like its storage capacity which can expand up to 356GB on a MicroSD
  7. About its motion tracking feature, you can also toggle on and off motion tracking.
    However at night time it loses motion detection if you park the convertible past 30 ft
  8. Like other Wyze cameras, this one too can integrate with Alexa and Google Assistant