Optimal Placement of Honeywell/Resideo 5870API Asset Protection Sensor on a Safe

Hello everyone,

I’ve successfully connected the Honeywell/Resideo 5870API Asset Protection Sensor to my Qolsys IQ 4 Panel, and now I’m trying to determine the ideal mounting location on a safe.

I initially tested the sensor inside the safe, but the signal strength was weak, indicating that this setup won’t be effective. Therefore, it seems I’ll need to mount the sensor on the exterior of the safe.

The documentation suggests mounting the sensor on the safe’s door, based on the illustrations provided. However, there’s a concern that if the sensor is visible, it might be vulnerable to tampering, such as being disabled by an RF interference transmitter. The documentation also advises placing the sensor in an inconspicuous area and mentions that it’s not designed for use on swinging doors. That said, I’m considering whether this would apply differently in the case of a locked safe door.

Another potential mounting location could be the back of the safe, provided the transmission range remains strong. Would this position be optimal for ensuring the sensor triggers an alert in the event of an attempted theft or burglary?

Regarding the sensor’s loop modes, I’m leaning towards using either the “High Trigger Fast Security (after 1-3 Seconds) Mode: Loop 1” or the “Standard Security (after 5-8 Seconds) Mode: Loop 2.” Given that this is for a safe, would “High Trigger Fast Security (after 1-3 Seconds) Mode: Loop 1” be the most suitable option?

I appreciate any advice or insights you can provide.

Thanks!

I think you’re overthinking it. If someone manages to reach the safe undetected, the problem lies in your overall system and strategy, not just the placement of the last wireless sensor on the safe. :roll_eyes:

Since it’s not a “Supported Device,” you’ll need to test each loop individually and hope one works, because I can guarantee that all three won’t.