Nest vs. X-Sense Smart Smoke Alarms. Are they Worth the Extra Cost?

We’re upgrading to smart smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in our home. The Nest ones are $150 each, but there’s a 3-pack of X-Sense alarms for $99.98 on Amazon that seem to do the same thing. Has anyone here used X-Sense? Is it worth spending the extra on Nest for better peace of mind, or is X-Sense just as good? Any advice would be appreciated!

Have you looked into Kidde? I use their wired fire, carbon monoxide, and air quality sensor. It works great most of the time (although it did go off randomly one morning). It’s compatible with Google Home, and you can silence it through the app if you’re on the same Wi-Fi. You can also control it with your voice, but I haven’t tried that yet.

@Troy
Thanks! We actually did, but we need battery-powered ones since we live in a condo.

I’ve heard mixed things about Nest. I don’t think you’d be getting much extra value for the higher price. You might want to check out the Shelly Plus smoke alarm instead.

LillyGrace said:
I’ve heard mixed things about Nest. I don’t think you’d be getting much extra value for the higher price. You might want to check out the Shelly Plus smoke alarm instead.

Appreciate it! I’ll look into the Shelly Plus.

Are your current detectors interconnected? If so, you could get basic ones and add something like the Zooz Zen55 for just $27. That’s what I did, and it works perfectly.

Owen said:
Are your current detectors interconnected? If so, you could get basic ones and add something like the Zooz Zen55 for just $27. That’s what I did, and it works perfectly.

They’re not interconnected yet, but that’s the plan. Thanks for the suggestion!

I haven’t tried X-Sense, but I use the Nest hardwired alarms and love them. I found mine for $100 each on Facebook, and they sometimes go on clearance at Home Depot too. I almost snagged some for $40 each!

@Callie
What’s with those crazy sales? I’ve seen similar deals, like 80% off, and then they go back to full price. It’s so weird.

Marcos said:
@Callie
What’s with those crazy sales? I’ve seen similar deals, like 80% off, and then they go back to full price. It’s so weird.

No idea, but I was kicking myself for missing out. Even at full price, though, I think they’re worth it.

I have an X-Sense system and it’s been great. No false alarms, which is a big improvement over the Kidde system I had before.

Wallace said:
I have an X-Sense system and it’s been great. No false alarms, which is a big improvement over the Kidde system I had before.

Good to hear! Thanks for the input.

Wallace said:

Same here! I grabbed a bunch of X-Sense products during Prime Day and have been really happy with them. Tested everything during setup and it all works perfectly—plus, I saved a ton of money.

I wouldn’t go with Nest. Mine stopped working after 3 or 4 years, and it was frustrating to deal with even before that.

There are other good options out there. You can check out this comparison: https://smarthomecompared.com/smoke-alarms.

PredictivePowerTalk2 said:
Smoke rises, CO sinks. It’s better to get separate alarms for each.

That’s actually a myth. Check out this info from a fire prevention guide: https://www.merrimacknh.gov/fire-prevention/files/proper-placement-of-carbon-monoxide-detectors.