Need to Monitor Mailbox Theft – Seeking Camera Recommendations (NC, USA)

We’ve been dealing with an issue involving a neighbor who seems to be suffering from dementia and has been taking our mail. Although his family sometimes returns it, not everything makes it back, and communication with them is difficult. Unfortunately, without hard proof, the police and USPS haven’t been able to take action.

We’re thinking about setting up a security camera to monitor the mailbox, but the challenge is that our mailbox is about a quarter mile away from the house, along a paved road, while we live down a dirt/gravel road through some woods. The options for cameras seem overwhelming, and the ones I’ve checked so far don’t seem to cover that distance. We’re also working with a limited budget, so we can’t go for the most expensive solutions.

Additionally, cellular reception in our area isn’t the best, which adds another layer of complexity. I’m a bit of a novice when it comes to home security systems, so any advice or recommendations for cameras that might work for our situation would be greatly appreciated!

Have you considered a locking mailbox?

Someone suggested this to me, but I’m not sure how it would work, especially since we don’t always have the same postal workers delivering our mail. Wouldn’t they all need keys? And would they even drop off the mail if they had to unlock a mailbox? (Sorry, I’m just not sure how this works.)

No need for keys for the postal workers. Most locking mailboxes have a slot where they can insert the mail without needing to unlock anything. You only need the key to retrieve the mail. We use a MailBoss box to keep our mail secure, and it even fits small packages.

The good quality locking mailboxes allow regular mail to be dropped in through a slot, and they’re also compatible with the mail carrier’s key for placing packages inside.

Consider using a trail camera. These cameras are solar or battery-powered and are triggered by motion, recording directly to an internal SD card (some newer models also have built-in cellular radios that allow recording to the cloud). They’re often camouflaged and designed to mount on trees to monitor wildlife, which makes them perfect for discreetly watching over your mailbox. Simply set one up with a clear view of your mailbox, and you’ll be able to catch him in the act.

Thanks so much! If you have any specific camera recommendations, I’d really appreciate it!

No problem! I haven’t needed one myself, but there are hundreds of options available. Just look for a camera that meets your specific needs, like range, camouflage, and connectivity. Consider whether it’s close enough for WiFi, if cellular coverage is available, how long the battery lasts, and the motion sensor’s range.

You might want to consider signing up for USPS Informed Delivery. They’ll send you email scans of the mail that’s headed to your mailbox, so you’ll know exactly what should be arriving. This way, you’ll have a clear record of what might be missing. It could either give you the evidence you need to prove that items are indeed missing or ease your mind by confirming that everything is being returned.

What you choose to do with that information is up to you, but keep in mind that mail theft is a crime, and with hard evidence, you could take legal action if necessary.

What will you do if you catch him in the act? If he does have a mental issue, getting the police involved might not be very effective.

Maybe consider getting a PO box, even though it might be inconvenient.

You could also ask the post office if there’s a way to set up a locking mailbox. They offer them in apartment buildings, so it might be possible.

“So what will you do if you catch him in the act? If he indeed has a mental deficiency, having the police talk to him is useless.”
Possibly, but it might still help me get the right kind of assistance. Or maybe not.

“Perhaps a PO box? I realize it would be a pain.”
Unfortunately, it’s a bit of a drive, and our car situation isn’t the best right now.

“Ask the post office if there is a way to have a locking mailbox. They do it in apartments.”
I’ll give that a try, but I’ve already tried reaching out to USPS twice, and their customer service system is honestly maddening. The police were actually more helpful.

Don’t bother with their customer service. Just go to your local branch and ask to speak directly with the postmaster.

This. Our local PO folks are great.

You could try using a solar or battery-powered camera, like the Reolink Argus, which can record whenever motion is detected. Additionally, you might consider using a LoRaWAN sensor for the mailbox to get instant notifications when it’s opened.

Would the footage be stored directly on the camera, or does it require Wi-Fi or cellular access? Sorry, I’m not too familiar with how this works!

LoRaWAN is designed for low bandwidth data and supports long distances, but it doesn’t allow for remote access to recordings. You’d only be able to access the recordings when you’re near the camera, like on your phone, using direct Wi-Fi between the phone and camera. This setup works without cellular service, allowing you to place the camera farther away from your home while still being able to view the footage when you’re nearby.

A YoLink device could be a great option, as it would alert you whenever your mailbox is opened, even over long distances.

A practical solution might be to get a PO Box. It may be a bit inconvenient, but it would ensure that you receive all of your mail securely.

Get a PO box or private service box.