Need advice… how to stop teen from sneaking out?

StatSleuth4 said:
@Arlo
It could also just be typical teen behavior. Sometimes it’s not that deep—just teenagers being teenagers.

Source: former teenager who did dumb stuff even with a decent home life.

True, I definitely did my share of that, too!

If you already know he’s sneaking out, a window alarm might not do much. Next time, wait until he’s out, lock the window, and have a chat when he comes back.

Consider setting up window sensors that notify you when they’re opened, and maybe add a tracker to something he carries regularly. Just be aware that if he finds out, it could damage your relationship with him. Some kids just sneak out to get a bit of freedom, and it might not mean much more than that.

Anything that can detect when a window is opened should work. Detex makes commercial options, but you probably don’t need that. Most standard alarm systems will chime or alert you when a sensor is triggered.

You might try window locks. I have some installed to prevent my kids, who sleep on the top floor, from accidentally opening the windows. They’re easy to use but still secure. Here’s a link to the kind I use.

I use a Ring alarm, and it offers customizable alerts and chimes for each device. For example, my patio door chimes when it’s opened, and I also get notifications on my phone if any basement doors are accessed.

I use Frontpoint for my home security, and their window and door sensors are great for situations like this. It’s straightforward to set up.

This thread turned into a parenting discussion instead of security advice!

It’s interesting how much focus is on security gadgets without asking, ‘Why is the kid sneaking out, and why are they in the basement?’

Adeline said:
It’s interesting how much focus is on security gadgets without asking, ‘Why is the kid sneaking out, and why are they in the basement?’

Finished basements are pretty common living spaces. Maybe people just don’t think it’s odd because they’ve seen it often.

@Evelyn
I lived in my parents’ finished basement throughout high school and college. It was nice and private, so I get it.

For those speculating on why he’s sneaking out, making comments about ‘freedom,’ or even messaging me with threats to involve authorities, kindly back off. To clarify, he’s been sneaking out to do drugs and vandalize property with some so-called friends.

He’ll probably find a way around any window alarms. Consider putting one in the hallway outside his room too, in case he tries to sneak out through the front door next.

Letting kids sneak out a bit is part of growing up, but if you’re worried, maybe hide a tracker in something they wear, like shoes. Just to be safe.

Back in the day, we were practically kicked out of the house after dinner to play until dark. Tracking down where kids were was a whole different issue, but it was more about letting them roam freely.