Need a system to tie everything together… any suggestions?

To keep it short… we just moved into a new place that already has a Ring doorbell and a few Ring floodlights.

I want to set up a monitored security system that can bring everything together—doorbell, exterior floodlight cameras, door/window sensors, and smoke/CO detectors. Ideally, I’m looking for one system that can handle all of this in one place.

Any recommendations?

RAB motion lights are really solid, but they don’t come as part of a full security system.

Sophie said:
RAB motion lights are really solid, but they don’t come as part of a full security system.

Yeah, I figured… they wouldn’t give me the complete setup I’m looking for.

Timothy said:

Sophie said:

Yeah, I figured… they wouldn’t give me the complete setup I’m looking for.

True, but they do work great alongside other setups like Dahua cameras. You can pick LED bulbs as bright as you need.

If you want everything to be managed from one interface, you might want to check out Home Assistant. It can act as a hub that connects various devices together. Look up posts from u/SirEDCaLot for more tips on how to set it up.

I’ve never been a big fan of Ring alarms. They’ve got some nice features, but the equipment quality can be hit or miss.

If you want everything in one app, consider the ADT+ Smart Home Security system paired with Google Nest cameras. They’ve got options for indoor, outdoor, doorbell, and floodlight cams. Another option is Arlo—they make quality cameras, but I’m not a fan of how their alarms look. Still, they can be pro-monitored like ADT.

Not many options for a full system with floodlights included, but these are the best I’ve seen.

@Miles
Thanks! So the Google Nest cameras can work directly with the ADT app?

Is there a more sophisticated setup that could do what I’m looking for?

Timothy said:
@Miles
Thanks! So the Google Nest cameras can work directly with the ADT app?

Is there a more sophisticated setup that could do what I’m looking for?

Yep, the Google Nest floodlights, doorbell, and indoor/outdoor cameras all work within the ADT+ app.

There are other options like Reolink for hardwired setups, but they don’t integrate everything into one app like ADT and Arlo. Eufy also makes floodlight cams, but there are some concerns about security and data handling, so keep that in mind.

@Miles
Appreciate the details. Looks like ADT might be the direction I’m leaning towards. I’ll see if I can schedule a quote.

Timothy said:
@Miles
Appreciate the details. Looks like ADT might be the direction I’m leaning towards. I’ll see if I can schedule a quote.

Good choice! You might also want to compare with their DIY option—could save a bit of money.

@Miles
Checked out Arlo, but it’s a no-go for me since they only offer wireless cameras. I’m looking to hardwire my floodlights.

Timothy said:
@Miles
Checked out Arlo, but it’s a no-go for me since they only offer wireless cameras. I’m looking to hardwire my floodlights.

Totally understandable! The Google Nest floodlight is hardwired, so that might work better for what you need.

@Miles
Thanks, this info has been really helpful.

I understand wanting everything in one app, but from my experience, it’s better to piece your system together. Use ADT for the alarm, and you can still add smoke/heat detectors and CO sensors without extra monthly charges. For cameras, brands like Reolink offer better quality at a lower cost, and there are no subscription fees. This way, you aren’t locked into one system’s limitations.

I’ve been in the alarm industry for over 30 years, so I’m confident this is a good approach. Also, I’d stay away from internet-dependent systems like Ring.

@Dexter
Thanks, that makes sense. So would you say Reolink is just a better version of my current Ring setup?

Timothy said:
@Dexter
Thanks, that makes sense. So would you say Reolink is just a better version of my current Ring setup?

Absolutely, 100 times better. Your Ring cameras might be around 4MP, but Reolink offers 8MP to 16MP options with local storage (SD card) and no subscription fees. Or, you could set up a proper NVR with PoE cameras for even better quality. Everything’s available on Amazon.

@Dexter
This sounds really promising. Can I DM you to ask more about this setup?

Timothy said:
@Dexter
This sounds really promising. Can I DM you to ask more about this setup?

Of course, happy to help!

@Dexter
Thanks for your advice! What’s your opinion on the Honeywell Vista 20P? Any resources you’d recommend for setting up a system like this?

Safe said:
@Dexter
Thanks for your advice! What’s your opinion on the Honeywell Vista 20P? Any resources you’d recommend for setting up a system like this?

Vista 20P is a solid choice, but I’m a fan of newer panels like the Qolsys 4. It’s reliable enough that I even use it for small businesses. For learning, there are plenty of YouTube tutorials—just look for ones focused on the system you’re interested in.