Motion sensor for outdoor lights?

Hi,

I’m looking for outdoor wall lights with motion sensor, but the ones with the sensor built in all look like floodlights, and I’m looking for something with a sleeker sconce design. Is there a way I can add a motion sensor to a regular outdoor sconce? Thanks!

Yes, it is possible to wire a separate motion sensor to control lighting. However, they do make many sconce light designs with built-in motion sensors, as well as light bulbs with motion sensors built-in.

@SafeHavenExpert3
Have you tried this before? How difficult is it to install, and do you have any motion sensor kit recommendations? Thanks!

EdwardGenesis said:
@SafeHavenExpert3
Have you tried this before? How difficult is it to install, and do you have any motion sensor kit recommendations? Thanks!

Here is a guide on how to add motion sensors. They generally wire in like a switch to the internal light wires. Many kits assume there is a box or area to attach the motion sensor stem to the light housing. If your sconce design doesn’t allow for this, you may need to get creative and mount the motion sensor nearby, separate from the light.

Most motion sensor sconces have the sensor built into the design of the light, so that could be the best option if you’re updating your lights.

Here are more plug-and-play options or easier alternatives.

You could use a smart bulb with a separate motion sensor. That’s what I did for my porch light in a previous house.

I used a Hue bulb with a Hue motion sensor. I even set it to be red after 10 pm so it wouldn’t mess up night vision.

I would only recommend this if you’re already invested in the Hue ecosystem, though. Otherwise, it’s pretty expensive and there are cheaper options.

@sonvilla
Do you mean the Philips outdoor sensor? Link to Philips Outdoor Sensor

So, if I’m using this, I would need to use a sconce that takes a lightbulb, and the bulb would have to be a Philips Hue bulb, right? Is there no other way to make this work with a standard sconce that doesn’t take a smart bulb? Thanks!

@EdwardGenesis
Exactly, and you’d need a Philips Hue bridge too. It’s a nice smart solution, though.

If you already have a floodlight, you could install an add-on like this that screws into your junction box and wires into the light.

But honestly, I think an all-in-one solution or going with the Hue route would be better.