Looking for the Best POE Security Cameras

Just getting started and want to do it right the first time. I ordered the Reolink 16-channel NVR along with 811A and 410 cameras to get a feel for the setup. I don’t like the NVR—it’s loud, and since the cameras support SD cards, I ordered 256GB cards and a PoE switch as an alternative. Testing the cameras indoors, I’m not impressed with the picture quality. I can make out images across the room, but they become unrecognizable when zoomed in, even from less than 12 feet away. I’ve run Ethernet cables to where I plan to install the cameras outside, but I’m already disappointed.

Is there a better brand or option that allows local recording and push notifications for motion detection?

Ideally, I want cameras and a recording device that can integrate through the PoE switch. I don’t mind spending more for a system that delivers high-quality video and zoomed in clarity.

Any recommendations?

2 Likes

What’s your budget and how many cameras do you need?

For home use, Hikvision is a well-known brand with a wide range of options. You should decide between barrel vs. turret cameras, focal length, and pixel count.

What do you mean by images being unrecognizable when zoomed in? How much zoom are you using? Do you have screenshots for comparison?

I recently got a Reolink RLC-510A camera. It’s decent, though not as good as H.View cameras.

2 Likes

Thanks. I do not have or am not looking at this from a financial standpoint. I am not looking to go crazy, either. I am thinking of four or five cameras. Maybe add a few indoors in the future. The Reolink is not horrible; it just seems like a blurry picture. I would pay more if I could obtain crisp TV-quality photos. I will look at Hikvision and see what POE cameras they have. Do they have their free app?

1 Like

I have a Reolink 410 and 811A, and they work nicely (with Reolink NVR and can be seen on phone and PC). I then added a Reolink doorbell and a motorised PTZ RLC-423.