Looking for the best POE cameras NVR for home security… Any suggestions?

Brooke said:
I don’t use Blue Iris, but the website has a lot of info. If you want privacy, use POE cameras on their own network. I use Amcrest cameras with Xprotect on my PC.

Exactly!

Brooke said:
I don’t use Blue Iris, but the website has a lot of info. If you want privacy, use POE cameras on their own network. I use Amcrest cameras with Xprotect on my PC.

[deleted]

Nora said:

Brooke said:

[deleted]

Xprotect is free for up to 8 cameras.

Brooke said:

Nora said:
Brooke said:

[deleted]

[deleted]

Nora said:

Brooke said:
Nora said:
Brooke said:

[deleted]

[deleted]

With that many cameras running 24/7, you’ll need to plan carefully and have plenty of hard drive space.

Brooke said:

Nora said:
Brooke said:
Nora said:
Brooke said:

[deleted]

[deleted]

With that many cameras running 24/7, you’ll need to plan carefully and have plenty of hard drive space.

[deleted]

Nora said:

Brooke said:
Nora said:
Brooke said:
Nora said:
Brooke said:

[deleted]

[deleted]

[deleted]

Cameras won’t be the issue, but power consumption might be. I run 8x 4K cameras on an i5 NUC with 8GB RAM, and it uses only 18W.

If you avoid using the apps, your privacy improves. It’s the apps that are a concern, not the cameras themselves.

Nora said:
I’ve been recommended a few camera brands for home security and need some advice on which would be the best option. My priorities are: Privacy first, followed by Quality, Reliability, and Ease of Use. Here are the brands I’m considering:

1. Hikvision
  2. Uniview
  3. Speco
  4. Unifi
  5. Dahua

What do you all think?

None of these brands are really secure, which is why they’re budget-friendly.

Zack12 said:

Nora said:
I’ve been recommended a few camera brands for home security and need some advice on which would be the best option. My priorities are: Privacy first, followed by Quality, Reliability, and Ease of Use. Here are the brands I’m considering:

1. Hikvision
  2. Uniview
  3. Speco
  4. Unifi
  5. Dahua

What do you all think?

Nothing is ever 100% secure.

Zack12 said:

Nora said:

1. Hikvision
  2. Uniview
  3. Speco
  4. Unifi
  5. Dahua

What do you all think?

Would you say the cameras I listed are more prosumer or professional?

Nora said:

1. Hikvision
  2. Uniview
  3. Speco
  4. Unifi
  5. Dahua

What do you all think?

Forgot to mention, this setup is for outdoor cameras on a 5,000-square-foot house.

Nora said:

1. Hikvision
  2. Uniview
  3. Speco
  4. Unifi
  5. Dahua

What do you all think?

I’m using Blue Iris now but have used Milestone in the past. Milestone is great and free for up to 8 cameras. You can use a 6th-gen PC and a second network card to isolate the cameras from your main network.

Nora said:

1. Hikvision
  2. Uniview
  3. Speco
  4. Unifi
  5. Dahua

What do you all think?

If privacy is key, look for NDAA compliance. Manufacturers that meet this standard can be expensive.

Out of your list, only Uniview can be NDAA compliant. I’d recommend checking out Nelly’s Security for custom system designs.

Bella said:

Nora said:

1. Hikvision
  2. Uniview
  3. Speco
  4. Unifi
  5. Dahua

What do you all think?

If privacy is key, look for NDAA compliance. Manufacturers that meet this standard can be expensive.

Out of your list, only Uniview can be NDAA compliant. I’d recommend checking out Nelly’s Security for custom system designs.

Even if I don’t need NDAA compliance for a business, is it still a good idea to choose NDAA products for security?

Nora said:

Bella said:
Nora said:

1. Hikvision
  2. Uniview
  3. Speco
  4. Unifi
  5. Dahua

What do you all think?

Even if I don’t need NDAA compliance for a business, is it still a good idea to choose NDAA products for security?

Yes, because NDAA compliance ensures there are no backdoors or malware, even if it costs more.

Bella said:

Nora said:
Bella said:
Nora said:

1. Hikvision
  2. Uniview
  3. Speco
  4. Unifi
  5. Dahua

What do you all think?

Yes, because NDAA compliance ensures there are no backdoors or malware, even if it costs more.

So if I avoid Chinese manufacturing, what are my options? Speco?

Nora said:

Bella said:
Nora said:
Bella said:
Nora said:

1. Hikvision
  2. Uniview
  3. Speco
  4. Unifi
  5. Dahua

What do you all think?

So if I avoid Chinese manufacturing, what are my options? Speco?

Speco, Hanwha, and Uniview meet NDAA compliance. Some also meet TAA standards, but that adds to the cost.

Bella said:

Nora said:

1. Hikvision
  2. Uniview
  3. Speco
  4. Unifi
  5. Dahua

What do you all think?

Check out this link: https://storage.googleapis.com/gtv-videos-bucket/sample/TearsOfSteel.mp4

@Elsa
Thanks for the info. I spoke to Unifi, and they said it wasn’t possible, so this helps!