Looking for POE security cameras with built in switch for serial cable runs

I’d like to run just one length of cable and daisy chain the cameras for a POE security camera system. I’m surprised that I can’t easily find cameras with a built-in two-port POE switch for this purpose. I understand that the number of cameras would be limited by the maximum POE power divided by each camera’s consumption.

Are there any POE security cameras that offer this feature? I’d prefer to keep everything within a single weatherproof housing rather than installing separate two-port switches at each camera location.

NOTE 1: Running individual cables isn’t practical or desirable in my situation, regardless of cost. This isn’t a new construction installation. The cables would be exposed, requiring either a very large hole or multiple holes drilled through stucco, and you’d end up with unconcealable bundles of cables until the end of the chain is reached.

NOTE 2: Many responses are addressing whether this is a good idea, which isn’t what I asked. Several of them are based on incorrect assumptions or irrelevant concerns, such as issues with firmware updates, the risk of a single cable cut disrupting the entire chain (like Christmas lights), or even latency concerns. This setup is purely to get video packets to a dedicated recording device, not to establish a general-purpose LAN or connect gaming PCs.

You should place your POE switch in a central location and run individual cables to each camera. If it’s easier, you can bundle those cables together.

However, what you’re trying to achieve seems to go against the basic principles of ethernet and switches, so it’s not surprising you’re having trouble finding devices that fit your needs. What you’re describing is similar to the old Token Ring setup, which is best left in the past.

You’re looking for a POE-powered camera with a second port that can supply POE for downstream connections?

There are switches that can do this—one POE in and two POE out—but you can’t daisy chain them beyond that.

Running two cables is usually easier and cheaper than buying a POE in/out switch for new installations. For legacy setups, you can use passive splitters and 100bt, but it’s not the most elegant solution.

Right, in my post I mentioned that I don’t want to deal with a separate switch. I found at least one system and am editing my post.