Looking for a Window Alarm System to Prevent Unauthorized Access

I have a situation where I need a reliable alarm system for windows that will go off if a window is opened. While I know there are systems out there that can do this, I have some specific requirements due to our circumstances.

Our oldest child has had some issues in the past, including drug use, and we’re concerned that she might try to open her bedroom window at night to let someone in. While there’s no immediate threat, we want to be proactive in preventing this from happening.

Here’s what we need:

• Undisabled Alarm: The system must not be easily disabled by a device on the window itself, as our child might simply turn it off.

• Passcode Protection: The ability to arm or disarm the system should require a passcode and should not be something that can be easily turned off from anywhere in the house.

Does anyone have recommendations for a system that meets these requirements? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I’m sorry to hear about what you’re going through.

In my opinion, anyone with internet access and the sensor (like a window or door contact) will eventually figure out how to bypass it. Imagine you set up a regular home alarm system (which isn’t meant to keep people inside), and she discovers that most simple contacts can be tricked by just adding a magnet to make the sensor think the door or window is still closed. Then what? Are you really going to invest in a sensor that analyzes the magnetic field to prevent this? Or will you start considering systems designed for psychiatric wards?

It’s a never-ending game of trying to stay ahead, which might not be effective or helpful for anyone involved.

I can’t imagine how tough this must be. However, I do think that rehabilitation and similar approaches might be more appropriate and helpful in this situation.

Thank you for being honest with me. I really appreciate it, especially since companies often try to convince me that anything is possible.

Unfortunately, rehabilitation and therapy aren’t workable options for us.

I just had to do this on my son’s windows to prevent him from sneaking out. I have an IQ4 and set it up as mentioned above, so if my son tries to tamper with it, I get a notification on my phone.

That sounds like you have a solid solution.

Did you install it yourself? Do you have a security company working with this?

I work for a security company, so I installed it myself. But like someone else mentioned, you can look up local companies in your area that are authorized Alarm.com dealers. If you can’t find any, I work for a national company (not ADT), and depending on your location, we might have a tech available in your area.

Screw the window shut

What you’re looking for is a programming function called a “24-hour zone” or sometimes a “day zone.” This feature is available on any alarm system.

Is there a specific system you would recommend?

Look for a local security company that partners with Alarm.com. Then, get a Qolsys IQ Panel with PowerG sensors from them.

Do we have the same child? Luckily for us, our windows aren’t great, so we only needed something for our doors. I’d recommend wireless sensors because wired ones can be bypassed easily with something as simple as a twist tie. Wireless sensors can be tricked with a magnet, but that’s usually a bit more difficult. I just got some Z-Wave sensors and connected them to my smart home hub, which sends alerts to my phone.

What about installing cameras outside, focused on the window (but not looking through it), so you can see if someone approaches the window and lets them in?

As many have mentioned, window sensors can be easily tricked. In terms of effectiveness, having a camera in your kid’s room might be more practical. But, of course, that would invade your child’s privacy.

Kids are often smarter than we give them credit for. Whether it’s a window sensor or a tiny spy camera, they might find it and disable it. With all due respect, without addressing the root issue, it’s like trying to bail out water while leaving the tap running.

Ring window sensor it is

You can add contacts to windows with any alarm system. In your situation, since magnets can easily trick them, I suggest mounting the sensors inside the window frame.

You can use a wireless contact for power and run a wire from that to a wired contact. There are small contacts that can fit inside the window casing, making them much harder to tamper with. Alternatively, you could wire it directly from the panel, but that might be challenging if your house is already finished.

Brands aren’t too crucial, but you’ll want a cellular communicator so the system still sends signals even if someone messes with your internet.

Lorex hub and window alarms