Looking for a reliable wired home security camera system under $500

I’m having trouble finding a good home security camera system, and I’d love to hear your suggestions.

I recently had a bad experience with a Lorex system (it was defective, and they wouldn’t offer me a refund or exchange). That took a big chunk out of my budget, so now I’m looking for something in the $350 to $500 range.

I’d prefer something wired (no Wi-Fi) that has decent image quality, a good app for my phone, and solid night vision. Online reviews make every system sound terrible, so I’m hoping some of you can share systems that have worked well for you.

Do you have any local companies that can install security systems for homes or businesses? That might be a good place to start.

EdwardGenesis said:
Do you have any local companies that can install security systems for homes or businesses? That might be a good place to start.

I’ve checked, but their prices are too high, and they don’t offer anything better than what I’m finding on my own.

I’ve gone through three systems in the last two years because I’ve had issues with a dangerous neighbor (long story, but let’s just say they’re not great to live near).

First, I tried Blink, but it let me down when I needed it the most. Then, I gave Eufy a shot. Their hardware is solid, but the software was terrible. Every update made the system less reliable and caused me even more stress.

Finally, I got a Reolink system, and it’s been fantastic for the six months I’ve had it. Almost all my cameras are wired (PoE), which makes managing them easy. They link to my NVR, which records 24/7. I also got a wireless doorbell camera, but they make a PoE version too.

Pros:

• Reliability: None of my PoE cameras have gone offline. The wireless doorbell had a minor issue once, but that was because of a problem with my router.
  • Image quality: I have a mix of 12MP, 8MP, and 5MP cameras. The 12MP can read license plates from a long distance and gives a super clear view. Even the 5MP ones are pretty good for the price.
  • Night vision: Some cameras have more infrared LEDs, so they work better at night. The doorbell cam and the 810 series cameras are particularly good in the dark.
  • The doorbell camera: The doorbell cam has almost a 180-degree field of view, and the video quality is excellent for a 5MP camera. It also comes with a free chime that works instantly when someone presses the doorbell.

Cons:

• The phone app: The app is functional but could be smoother. It works fine, but sometimes you need a few extra taps to get to what you want. It’s not as sleek as some other apps, but it gets the job done.

For your budget, you could probably get an NVR and a few cameras for $350 to $500. I recommend buying the cameras separately because the ones that come bundled in packs can be lower spec.

Overall, I wish I’d switched to Reolink sooner. After the stress of Blink and Eufy, this has been a huge relief.

Auditor said:
I’ve gone through three systems in the last two years because I’ve had issues with a dangerous neighbor (long story, but let’s just say they’re not great to live near).

First, I tried Blink, but it let me down when I needed it the most. Then, I gave Eufy a shot. Their hardware is solid, but the software was terrible. Every update made the system less reliable and caused me even more stress.

Finally, I got a Reolink system, and it’s been fantastic for the six months I’ve had it. Almost all my cameras are wired (PoE), which makes managing them easy. They link to my NVR, which records 24/7. I also got a wireless doorbell camera, but they make a PoE version too.

Pros:

• Reliability: None of my PoE cameras have gone offline. The wireless doorbell had a minor issue once, but that was because of a problem with my router.
  • Image quality: I have a mix of 12MP, 8MP, and 5MP cameras. The 12MP can read license plates from a long distance and gives a super clear view. Even the 5MP ones are pretty good for the price.
  • Night vision: Some cameras have more infrared LEDs, so they work better at night. The doorbell cam and the 810 series cameras are particularly good in the dark.
  • The doorbell camera: The doorbell cam has almost a 180-degree field of view, and the video quality is excellent for a 5MP camera. It also comes with a free chime that works instantly when someone presses the doorbell.

Cons:

• The phone app: The app is functional but could be smoother. It works fine, but sometimes you need a few extra taps to get to what you want. It’s not as sleek as some other apps, but it gets the job done.

For your budget, you could probably get an NVR and a few cameras for $350 to $500. I recommend buying the cameras separately because the ones that come bundled in packs can be lower spec.

Overall, I wish I’d switched to Reolink sooner. After the stress of Blink and Eufy, this has been a huge relief.

I know what you’re dealing with—I’m in a similar situation with a problematic neighbor.

I recommend the Reolink system as well. It’s been reliable for me.

I’ve had good experiences with Eufy. They offer solar-powered cameras with long battery life (about a year), motion tracking, and AI for object detection. No subscription is required, but you can store footage in the cloud if you want. I was considering Logitech for its Apple Home compatibility, but Eufy’s tech won me over.