Looking for a pro to install a home security system… any ideas?

I’m planning to set up a home security system as a Christmas gift, but I’m stuck. I’ve been reading through the forum and it seems like ADT and Vivint are not the best choices. I’d like to go with Reolink cameras, but they don’t seem to offer any alarm systems, and I’m not comfortable installing all this on my own. I’d prefer to get a professional to handle it.

What kind of local service should I be looking for to install a system? Should I be talking to electricians or someone else?

Where are you located? In my area, there are a bunch of local companies that do low voltage (LV) work. Maybe check out a distributor like ADI and ask if they can recommend any local businesses that buy from them.

@vanice
What part did you like about them? The low-quality images at night, unreliable notifications, limited camera options, or the overpriced video doorbell? Not to mention the integration issues and security concerns.

Where are you located?

Try finding a skilled handyman. I’m one, and I set up my system not too long ago. It’s not hard, but it can be a bit messy. For a standard 4-camera setup in a basic house, I’d charge around $600, though that doesn’t cover drywall repairs if I need to make holes for wiring.

@esleystanley
I could hire you and easily charge $2-3K for that job.

Not every ADT setup is bad. Check out the reviews for local dealers. Sometimes they offer everything for free and have good local customer service.

Clara said:
Not every ADT setup is bad. Check out the reviews for local dealers. Sometimes they offer everything for free and have good local customer service.

‘Not all’ sounds like ‘almost all’ to me?

@Lena
No, it means just like any business, there’s good and bad. Around 90% of the franchises do a solid job, including most ADT corporate installers.