Leaning towards ADT for security… thoughts?

I haven’t signed anything yet, but I’m getting close to choosing ADT for my home security. Some colleagues recommended them, and I was able to negotiate $800 off and get the monthly subscription down to $40. I also managed to get the contract reduced to just 12 months. I’ll share my thoughts once I’ve had the system for a while. I’m giving an old company a chance instead of going with Amazon’s Ring or something similar.

You might want to search around a bit. ADT is not well-liked in this community—they’re notorious for bad service and contracts that trap you. I’d seriously reconsider.

BillSmith said:
You might want to search around a bit. ADT is not well-liked in this community—they’re notorious for bad service and contracts that trap you. I’d seriously reconsider.

What’s a good alternative?

@Sylvester
Without knowing much about your setup, I’d recommend Lorex if you want something easy, or Ubiquiti if you’re tech-savvy and want more control.

I used to work for ADT. They’re one of the worst companies now, up there with SimpliSafe and Ring. If you knew what industry professionals know, you’d stay far away from them.

They’re known for extending contracts endlessly and then hitting you with huge fees when you try to cancel. After dealing with ADT, I refuse to sign any long-term contracts ever again. Those agreements are designed to take advantage of customers.

@Hayden
I’ve got lawyers on my side, so if they try to extend my contract, I’ll be ready for it.

Vanessa said:
@Hayden
I’ve got lawyers on my side, so if they try to extend my contract, I’ll be ready for it.

Or just avoid the headache and go with a better company from the start.

I highly recommend Abode. I’ve been really happy with their system, monitoring, and customer support.