Just Moved into a New House and Need Help Reviving an Old Security System

We recently moved into a new house and discovered that the original owner had a local company install a bunch of hardwired sensors and motion detectors all over the place.

The second owner, who sold us the house, had ADT install their own panel. They canceled their ADT subscription when they put the house up for sale and didn’t know the master or installer password to disarm the system.

Now, we’re stuck with a panel we can’t use. The company that did the original installation said they could replace the panel and motherboard for $1,000 and try to reuse the existing hardware.

Are there any other options for keeping the old hardware? It’s all hardwired and covers much more than any package we can find with ADT.

P.S. The original hardware was installed in 2001, and we were told these systems typically last about 20 years, so we’re also worried about the cost of replacing them soon.

Edit: About the System

The control panel is a DSC Powerseries Neo.

In the basement, the motherboard/wiring panel is labeled HS2016/HS2032/HS2064/HS2128 according to the wiring diagram inside.

We don’t know the models of the sensors or motion detectors, as they weren’t listed in the original paperwork left by the owner.

Are we supposed to just guess what equipment you have?

Hiya, added as much info as I can

Control panel: DSC powerseries neo

Wiring board: DSC HS2016/HS2032/HS2064/HS2128, not sure the exact model

No idea about the actual sensors

By home security standards, the DSC Neo panel is quite new and very reliable. The only downside is that it’s a bit of a closed system, which can make it hard to connect with other platforms. However, if you only need an alarm system with some basic home automation features, the DSC Neo combined with the DSC TL880LEC VZ/AT N (for Verizon or AT&T) communicator from alarm.com works well. There’s really no need to replace this panel.

Do you know if ADT was monitoring the DSC Neo panel or if they installed a different one? As far as I know, the DSC Neo can only work with its own TL880 communicator because of its encrypted keybus system. So, if ADT wasn’t using a TL880, they likely connected a universal communicator to the alarm’s bell output.

If I were in your situation, I would consider switching the alarm service to a DIY-friendly company that supports alarm.com. I would also get a TL880 communicator if you don’t already have one. It seems that you can reset the installer code through the alarm.com backend system.

Thank you very much for your insightful response.

I googled DSC TL880LEC. I actually do have that device installed alongside the wiring panel. So I should just look for a way to do the installer code reset.

I will go checkout alarm.com

Just so you know, alarm.com services are provided through alarm companies, not directly by alarm.com. It’s like how Invisalign works—you don’t go to Invisalign directly; you go to an orthodontist that offers it.

Honestly, your equipment is so new that it’s wrong for an alarm company to say it needs to be replaced. If they can’t support it, they should just tell you that your equipment is fine and point you to another company that can help. The whole industry often takes advantage of people who don’t know much about these systems.

Edit: You can check if the TL880 is tied to an existing alarm.com account by entering its IMEI number on Surety Home’s website. If it’s not linked to any account, you can use it with any alarm company that offers alarm.com services.

Hi, just one quick question:

I accidentally set the alarm without knowing the passcode, and now whenever the system is powered on, the alarm goes off, and I can’t turn it off without unplugging everything.

A technician came by and said they can’t reset it because it’s locked by ADT. Is that true, or are they just trying to get me to buy a new system?

Given the situation, would a hardware reset still be possible to fix this?

You can reset the panel to factory settings using a jumper, but this will erase all the programming. If you want to use alarm.com services, you’ll need a TL880 communicator that isn’t locked. Once you have that, your alarm company can reset the installer code without needing to reset the panel. So, it’s a good idea to check if your communicator is free (not still registered). If it isn’t, start talking to a local or DIY-focused alarm company about getting a new TL880 and activating it.

If you’re lucky and the TL880 isn’t registered, you can just take it to a new alarm company. I suggest you stop dealing with the company that wants to replace the Neo panel because they’re clearly trying to take advantage of the fact that you’re not fully informed.

Thank you for all these answers.

Forgive me for the barrage of questions.

How would I go check about the registration status of my communicator?

I edited a previous post to include the information - go to the Surety Home web site and find the form where you can enter the IMEI of the TL880.

Do you have a safewatch pro 3000?

No, a DSC powerseries neo

I think the DSC Neo was released around 2016 and is still the current model.

DM me for the installer code