Just moved into a new build – best way to reinforce the front door?

I recently moved into a new build, and while it’s in a nicer neighborhood with cameras, the front door feels a bit flimsy compared to my old place. My previous home had a smart lock, a latch at the top, and three locks on each door, so I’m looking for ways to beef up security for peace of mind.

I’ve come across some recommendations online, and I’m sure many of you have seen the viral posts suggesting replacing the strike plate screws with 3-inch screws instead of the shorter ones typically installed. I’ve also seen recommendations for extended strike plates like this one: Prime-Line Door Reinforcer.

My questions are:

• Do these extended strike plates only need reinforcement screws, or should anything be added on the lock side as well?
  • Should the plate be used for the handle, the deadbolt, or both?
  • I’ve also heard of people inserting a shim in the door jamb near the deadbolt to make it nearly impossible to breach. Any advice on that?

Thanks for the help!

There are plenty of YouTube videos showing how easily bad actors can kick in doors. While there are other ways to break in, the front door often gets the most attention, so I definitely agree with the need to reinforce it.

Here’s what I did for my own setup:

• I replaced all the screws in each hinge with 3-inch screws.
  • I used 3-inch, number 12 structural screws for the reinforced strike plate, angled away from the interior drywall. I had to use a countersink bit to modify the strike plate holes so the screws could angle in properly.
  • I also replaced the glass in the door and sidelight with impact glass from DIYdoorStore.com, which meets Dade County hurricane code standards. If it can stop a 2x4 traveling at 60 mph (twice!), it should handle a burglar with a hammer.
  • Additionally, I swapped the deadbolt for one with a bump-proof key cylinder.

If your exterior doors feel flimsy, you might need to replace them altogether. It’s tough to reinforce a weak door to make it truly secure.

Hope this helps!

What’s preventing them from simply entering through a window?

Just leave the front door open then?

Season 9 Lol GIF by The Office