Is This a Good Quote for a Wired Camera System?

As the title suggests, I reached out to a local security company with good reviews, as recommended by this forum, to get a quote for a wired camera system. After years of living in apartments, I’ve finally moved into a house, so I’m new to this. Given that my area has experienced burglaries where thieves jam Wi-Fi signals to disable Ring cameras, I wanted to see if this quote sounds reasonable.

Here’s what the company recommended based on a preliminary discussion about my house and security needs:

• Cameras: Four cameras, 4 megapixels each, priced at about $350 per camera.
  • Hardwiring: $150 per camera.
  • Tech setup: $75 per camera.
  • NVR: $320 for a 4-channel NVR, or $500 for an 8-channel NVR.
  • Hard drive: $119 for a 2TB hard drive to store footage.
  • POE: I didn’t catch the price for the Power over Ethernet (POE) setup.
  • System features: The cameras record both sound and video, offer nighttime color mode (not traditional night vision), and include person detection with the ability to trigger an alarm or pre-recorded message. The system also comes with an app (which I haven’t seen yet).
  • Warranty: A 3-year warranty on all equipment.
  • Subscription: No subscription fees.
  • Sensors: The installer did not recommend window or door sensors, considering them reactive rather than proactive. He believes that if a camera detects a person and an alarm sounds, it’s usually enough to deter them.

A few additional points:

• I’m not planning to DIY this. My partner and I both work long hours, and we don’t have the time or expertise to research and install cameras ourselves, so please keep that in mind.
  • The installer hasn’t visited the property yet, so this quote is based on a general discussion. I’m just trying to gauge whether this quote is worth considering, and if there are any other questions I should be asking.

Update: I called the installer back, and he mentioned that he uses Dahua brand equipment, though he didn’t specify the exact camera models. When I brought up the cost difference with Reolink, he noted that those are “consumer-grade” while his are “commercial-grade.” He also offered a 10% discount and is planning to visit my house to provide a more detailed quote.

I’m not fully committed yet, but I figure getting an exact quote with specific camera details would be helpful. Any advice or tips on what to ask would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I wouldn’t recommend paying $350 per camera. It seems like the installer is overcharging for most of the equipment, and PoE (Power over Ethernet) is standard on most newer cameras, so charging extra for it doesn’t make much sense.

If you purchase the cameras yourself and hire someone to install them, it would likely be much more cost-effective.

• Cameras: You can get Reolink 5-megapixel HD PoE cameras for about $55 each. For the price the local guy is charging for one camera, you could get six of these. If you want color night vision, 4K, and HDR, those are available for $88 per camera.

• NVR: Reolink offers a 4K sixteen-channel NVR for $340, which includes a preinstalled 4TB hard drive. PoE is integrated, so you won’t need to buy a separate switch. Since you’re only planning on using four cameras, you could opt for an eight-channel NVR with similar features for around $200.

• Tech setup: These cameras are plug-and-play, so there’s no need to pay for any “tech setup.”

Reolink doesn’t require a subscription, though they do offer reasonably priced cloud storage if you want an offsite backup for your footage. The app that comes with their system is also quite good.

It seems like you could save a lot of money by going this route.

That sounds like a much better and more cost-effective approach. My own camera setup includes 10 cameras, with the most expensive one costing $179. I handled everything myself using a Ubiquiti system, which is more on the prosumer side since it also covers my Wi-Fi and other networking needs. My total for the 10 cameras was around $1,200, and I upgraded my system to 16TB drives for $299 each from the 4TB drives I initially started with, which were $130 each.

Honestly, the wiring and ‘tech setup’ should be a single, more reasonable price, or they should offer a price per foot for the installation. $150 per cable run seems high unless there are particularly difficult runs involved. I would definitely ask how he plans to run the cables to see if the $150 charge is justified. As noclueXD mentioned, Reolink systems are plug-and-play, with no programming needed, which makes me think that the $75 tech setup fee is likely just fluff.

Exactly! That’s what I was thinking too about the extremely high installation and labor pricing. I just assumed the OP might live in an expensive, high-wage city where these prices are more common.

Edit: If the OP shows that they’re knowledgeable about the setup and pricing, the local company might reduce their rates to more closely match the setups we’ve both mentioned. It might be a good idea for the OP to mention that they talked to a friend who informed them that they’re being significantly overcharged.

You’re right, living in a HCOL area can definitely impact prices. However, knowing the costs of comparable cameras and doing some price checking could give you leverage to negotiate and potentially reduce the overall cost. It’s always helpful to be informed and prepared when discussing pricing with service providers.

please keep in mind that the price you are paying also covers warranty for the first 3 years. the people in this sub are talking you into DIY that I do not think you are prepared for undertaking.

Hehe…You guys have actually convinced me to go with Reolink because of the price. Now here comes the challenge, I just need to figure out who can install it. A low-voltage electrician could probably handle the wiring, but they might not want to drill into my walls to actually put up the cameras. The security companies I’ve called mostly insist on using their own equipment, so they’re not keen on installing a system I’ve picked out myself.

No, they want to use their own equipment because that’s how they make the most money. If it was other equipment that made them more money they’d be telling you that was the best.

Do you have any friends or family who are good at this kind of thing? You could ask them for help and let them know you’ll pay them fairly. Also, I think the security companies care more about making money than really trusting or recommending a certain brand.

I’m pretty sure a low-voltage electrician can handle the job. They usually work with alarm systems and home security, so they should have experience with drilling holes and installing equipment.

oh cool that helps a lot actually, I will try to find a low voltage electrician!

My front door camera is a Reolink, and I’ve had a good experience overall. However, my main complaint is that the camera isn’t great at notifying me when it detects a person, which is a big reason why I got the cameras. I’ve tried adjusting the sensitivity, but I often don’t get the “there’s a visitor at your front door” notification unless someone actually rings the doorbell. This is part of why I’d like to have a company help out, so I have someone to troubleshoot with if I run into issues.

Unless this customer is ready to go through the 88-page manual and set up the camera, its video settings, AI settings, and manage the app and notifications, then paying a tech is worth it. These things aren’t easy for everyone. Can they get it done cheaper? Yes. Is the price fair for the service they’re getting? Absolutely.

I wouldn’t say $225 PER camera install is worth it AT ALL. And $350 per camera? At that price, you could probably get a 4k, HDR camera with two way audio and much more features. Oh wait, Reolink makes one for $88

Also, there is no need for OP to be reading a manual because the Reolink system is plug and play and even if something goes wrong, it isn’t hard to search something up and find the answer on Google, especially when it is about a DIY home CCTV system that many other people have already tried installing.

I mean, did you read a manual before using your phone or computer? The Reolink UI is beginner friendly and I’m sure OP would understand most if not all settings.

Finally, I did NOT recommend for OP to DIY it themselves (if you read the post completely then you would’ve seen that OP did not want any DIY suggestions!). I only told OP about this SIGNIFICANTLY lower cost system so that they can possibly find someone who is experienced to install it FOR them and save money.

This is Completely fair.

Glad to hear that! The transparency was definitely a good sign. Thanks!

It’s fair to have it installed by a company, especially with a 3-year warranty. At the company I work for, a 4-camera system with a TV could cost you between $2,800 and $3,500. I know you said you won’t DIY, but if you can find someone who knows how to run the wires and buy your own cameras, you could get it done for under $1,000.

Cameras are more reactive than door and window sensors. If a criminal sees your cameras and still decides to break in, they’ll probably just wear a mask, making the camera footage useless.

If you’re worried about a break-in, an alarm system with an external sounder should be your top priority. When it goes off, the intruders won’t stick around. A camera will just give you a recording of them leaving with your stuff.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve had cameras at every house I’ve lived in, but that’s mostly because I can do the installation myself and get high-quality equipment at a good price.

If you go for an alarm system, make sure to include some glass break sensors. Windows might not get opened—they might just get smashed, which would make a window contact sensor useless.