Is a Guard Dog and Warning Signs Enough for Home Security?

I recently bought my first home and could use some advice on home security. The property is on a 50x125 lot with a 5-foot chain link fence and privacy slats. I have a 120-pound German Shepherd who’s trained not to let anyone in unless I give the okay, and I’ve put up a few “Beware of Dog” and “Guard Dog on Duty” signs.

My main concern is whether this setup is enough for now, especially since my garage faces the back alley, and I’m worried about potential vandalism.

Any thoughts or additional recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

1 Like

A guard dog is not a bad idea. But most burglars do not fear dogs in this era. I recently watched a video where ex-cons talked about what they were keen for when looking for a new location to steal from. Dogs weren’t a big concern to them because they could bring food to distract them.
Things they took keen concentration on include working lights, bushes trimmed, alarm systems, and cameras. These are things that affect them doing their job and their job is stealing from you.

Therefore, if I were you, I would have a flood light camera, automatic lights that can turn on a schedule, and cameras.