Installing Home Security - Sanity Check Needed

Hi All,

I’m new to home security systems and have done some research. Before moving forward with a contractor, I wanted to check in with you to make sure I’m on the right track and not missing anything obvious or better options.

Background:
My house was built ten years ago, and sensor wires were run to the doors (8 doors), 4 motion sensors, one glass break sensor, and locations for three keypads (and likely the siren). However, these wires were never connected to a panel, which is where I’m at now. In addition to connecting the existing wires, I’m planning to install 4 wireless sensors.

The contractor suggests using the Vista 20p system, which I’ve read good reviews about. The work involves connecting the existing sensors to a new 20p panel, installing 4 new wireless sensors, 3 keypads, and setting up monitoring through ADT.

What I understand will be installed:

• Vista 20p Panel: Includes a transformer.
  • Rechargeable Battery: I’m unsure about the mAh needed for the equipment connected to the panel.
  • Resistors: My understanding is these connect the wires to the panel.
  • Three 6160 Keypads: I’ve read about the 6160RF keypad, which I’ll mention below. Are there better keypad options, or is the 6160 the best choice?
  • 5800 RF Receiver: This allows the panel to connect to the 4 wireless sensors. If we use 6160RF keypads, do we still need the 5800 RF Receiver?
  • Vista Automation Module: I believe this enables the use of the Total Connect 2.0 app. If we don’t have this, does it mean we won’t be able to arm or disarm the system remotely via an app? Any insight here would be great.

A few questions:

1. The contractor mentioned installing cellular service to the panel for communication with ADT or any monitoring service. Does the Vista 20p support connection to a landline? Can it connect to both Wi-Fi and cellular service, providing two communication options with the monitoring service?
  2. I’ve heard about people jamming Wi-Fi frequencies in my neighborhood. I’m glad most of the system is wired, so Wi-Fi jamming won’t affect the alarm system. But could it affect the panel’s ability to communicate with the monitoring service?
  • Wi-Fi operates at 2.4 or 5 GHz. What frequency does cellular service use, and can that be jammed too?
  1. Lastly, I keep reading about the Envisalink product. What is it, and do I need it?

Thanks in advance for your help!