I stopped paying for my ADT monitoring and started using my system locally for free

Hello guys, I wanted to share my recent experience using my ADT-installed alarm system locally, with no monitoring or charges, for the past month. I got tired of paying $44/month to ADT, so I canceled my monitoring service. Like many others, I fell for the free installation/high monthly monitoring scam these companies offer. I assumed, without reading the fine print, that I could cancel the service after my contract and keep using the system locally. I was wrong.

When I called to cancel, I was told they wouldn’t remove their equipment, but I also couldn’t use it without monitoring. I canceled anyway. Soon after, my keypad started chirping every 30 seconds and displayed an error message. I disconnected the phone line from the panel, thinking it might stop, but it just produced another error message. I had to unplug the panel and remove the batteries to turn it all off.

Determined to make it work, I reconnected the power, opened the keypad, and cut the speaker out of the circuit board. Now, the system is fully operational, except for any noise from the keypad. This means no beeps for keystrokes or warning beeps when entering the home with the alarm set. This doesn’t bother me, and I am happy to have full functionality without monthly charges.

I hope this helps someone tired of paying for equipment that has been paid for twice over already. Good luck!