I need Security System Recommendations

I recently posted about an ADT authorized company but decided to cancel before installation. Now, I’m looking for a camera system that supports 3-5 cameras, preferably wired, and can record 24/7 as well as capture motion events if needed. I’m comfortable doing the wiring myself if necessary. Is it possible to set this up with a cellular backup?

I also want a system that can integrate with my Honeywell thermostat, MyQ LiftMaster, and any other smart home features we may add in the future. Additionally, I’m planning to install sensors and glass break detectors. Simplisafe and Cove were at the top of my list, but I’ve heard that their outdoor cameras aren’t great, which might be true for most battery-operated cameras.

I was considering using Simplisafe for intrusion monitoring and handling the cameras separately, but it seems that you can’t integrate much into the Simplisafe system. Does anyone have recommendations or experience with similar setups? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Search for local Alarm.com dealers in your area. They offer systems that can integrate all the components you’ve described.

That’s actually who I was considering, but they do monitoring through ADT, which made me hesitate. The 3-year contract and the recent reviews of ADT were a bit concerning for me.

You can also purchase the alarm equipment directly from ADT’s website upfront, which means you won’t have to sign a contract. You would need to install everything yourself, but the system is compatible with any Z-Wave device. It also works with Nest, and if you have the ADT Complete Plan (with Nest Aware Plus), you’ll be able to record 24/7 for ten days and have motion event recordings for 60 days.

Alarm.com is a fantastic platform that even ADT has adopted. There are thousands of local Alarm.com dealers who can set you up with an excellent system, offering local support and no contract.

Do you use Alarm.com? If so, how are their outdoor cameras? Are they pretty decent?

They offer a few different options with varying quality and price points.

Vivint doesn’t use Alarm.com and ADT is going away from using Alarm.com.

If you read closely. You’ll see vivint used to use alarm.com.

I’ve been using Cove for the past four years, and it’s been a solid choice for home security. The indoor and outdoor cameras work well, allowing you to monitor everything from your smartphone or Alexa devices like the Echo Show. They’ve also improved their equipment by integrating with other brands like Eufy, making upgrades easy and affordable—just $5 for shipping. The cameras are straightforward to use, charge, and record video, which is great for catching porch pirates, verifying package deliveries, or monitoring service workers.

The DIY setup is simple, and the system alerts us if a door is left open, which has been incredibly useful. The self-installed fire alarm has also been reliable, even saving us during a carbon monoxide leak one night. Their customer support is excellent—they’ve reached out promptly when the panel battery died or when the power went out, offering to help with dispatch if needed. Since we travel to see my in-laws monthly, Cove gives us peace of mind, knowing our home is secure.

One of the best parts is that there’s no annual contract; it’s month-to-month, so you can try it out without any long-term commitment. If you’re interested, they’re currently offering a $100 Visa gift card with my referral link for new users. Feel free to send me a DM if you’d like the link to give them a try!