Hubitat is more trouble than it's worth, do you guys have any good hub recommendations?

Hello guys, I was really into projects like programming 3D printer circuit boards, but those days are behind me. I can already tell that Hubitat is going to be an endless cycle of things breaking and a frustrating user interface. Yes, it’s powerful, but I simply don’t have the time or energy anymore.

I’ve bought a Zigbee lock and a bunch of Zooz switches, but this setup feels like it’s made for enthusiasts who love tinkering. What I want is something more “grown-up” where I can focus on simple rules, kind of like IFTTT. Mostly, I’m also looking to move away from Philips Hue because their bulbs are so overpriced. I’ve got 70 switches in my house.

I like the idea of everything being local without relying on the cloud, but not if it means I have to mess around with downloading GitHub repos and setting up dashboards.

So, what’s the best smart home hub solution out there? Should I just return these Zooz switches and go all-in on Lutron? SmartThings has come up in my research, but I’m not a big fan of Samsung products.

Here’s what my ideal setup looks like:

• A home panel with a touchscreen where I can control HVAC, and lights, and maybe check my Ring cameras.
  • A simple app (preferably local, but I’m okay with cloud if I must).
  • Zigbee support, since I’ll probably end up with hundreds of smart devices.

Any advice or recommendations would be great!

Here comes the flood of Home Assistant recommendations…

Manuel said:

And what’s wrong with Home Assistant?

Manuel said:

Haha, well if that’s the answer, I guess I should have expected it. I wanted to share my issues with Hubitat because I only saw positive reviews during my research.

Alright, what’s the problem with Hubitat? Sure, it has a learning curve, but Rule Machine is pretty solid.

Oscar said:
Alright, what’s the problem with Hubitat? Sure, it has a learning curve, but Rule Machine is pretty solid.

The learning curve, for starters.

Here’s my experience: I plugged it in and followed the instructions, but it wouldn’t connect to Wi-Fi on the first few tries. After multiple attempts and a power cycle, it finally worked—only to disconnect again two days later. I managed to install my switches and downloaded the Hubitat app, but then I found out the app is outdated, so I had to install a newer one.

When I tried to use the dashboard, it wouldn’t load properly. Adding devices was a pain, and the app would crash or give me white screens. I eventually got everything paired, but the UI is confusing and cluttered. Every item shows up twice, and even basic things required more effort than they should. And don’t get me started on how many times I had to Google things just to make sense of the options.

The switch works, but I can’t manage anything through the app. I had to get on my computer to set up the dashboard, which was another unintuitive mess. I quickly realized I’d have to start downloading random GitHub projects just to get basic functionality going.

All of this is fine if you have time and patience, but I want a smart home system that works without turning it into a full-time job.

@WatchfulWendy
If you didn’t like Hubitat, you’re probably going to hate Home Assistant. Maybe look into HomeKit instead?

leecole4 said:
@WatchfulWendy
If you didn’t like Hubitat, you’re probably going to hate Home Assistant. Maybe look into HomeKit instead?

I’m an Android developer, so I’m not really into Apple’s ecosystem, but I’ll check it out anyway. Thanks!

@WatchfulWendy
Sounds like you’ve got the Hubitat C8 Pro. I’ve got the C7, and it’s hardwired, so I haven’t had the same Wi-Fi issues, but I’ve heard others complain about it.

The app situation is annoying for sure. I still prefer the older app—it’s not as flashy, but it works. The new one feels like they tried too hard to make it look cool.

As for the dashboard, if you don’t need anything fancy, you can throw something together quickly. I haven’t played around with the newer ‘easy dashboard,’ though, so maybe that’s worth a shot.

Downloading community-created stuff isn’t required, but it does make things smoother. Package Manager is one that’s worth installing.

Have you checked the community forums? Lots of people there are willing to help troubleshoot, and some even write custom drivers for specific issues. Honestly, in the smart home space, unless you’re fully locked into one ecosystem (like Hue), there’s always going to be some trade-offs. If budget isn’t an issue, you could go that route, but hardware-agnostic hubs give you more flexibility, even if they come with a steeper learning curve.

@WatchfulWendy
It sounds like you had some bad luck with Hubitat. I had a rough start too because the UI could definitely use some improvements. But once you get past that, it really shines. Here’s a few thoughts on your experience:

1. Don’t try to set it all up through the phone app. It’s much easier to handle everything on a laptop or desktop.
  2. When you said you ‘can’t manage anything,’ what exactly are you trying to do? If it’s just turning things on and off, that’s easily done through the app. But for writing automations, it’s better to use a computer.
  3. You don’t actually need to download GitHub projects unless you’re trying something really specific or unusual. What are you aiming to do that needs those extra downloads?

I’d suggest giving it another try since you’ve already got it and paired your devices. Hubitat is super powerful once you get the hang of it.

@Ronald
I appreciate the advice, but my main issue is that it requires a laptop in 2024. As an Android developer, I rarely use my laptop for anything other than coding. I’ve managed smart home devices for years just using my phone. Most of my devices don’t even have web interfaces anymore (except my NAS).

If I had the time, maybe I’d be more willing to figure out Hubitat. But I’m in a different phase of life now—I no longer enjoy spending my weekends hacking together solutions. Time is precious, and I want something that works without needing constant attention.

I’ve already returned most of my Zooz switches and submitted an RMA for the Hubitat. I’ve ordered a Linknlink instead, which seems like it’ll fit my needs better.

@WatchfulWendy
Got it. Just be aware that Linknlink may not have as many features as Hubitat. For me, Hubitat’s out-of-the-box experience was pretty straightforward, and I didn’t need anything extra like a Raspberry Pi. The learning curve took about 20-40 minutes for me, but it could be quicker for you given your tech background.

You can access everything on Hubitat via your phone, but I personally find a laptop much easier to navigate. Once you’ve got things set up, though, the automations run smoothly without needing constant attention. That’s been my experience anyway.

If you’re after all those features, Home Assistant might be your best bet, but it does require some tinkering. It’s not quite at the level of ‘clone a git repo,’ but it’s not 100% plug-and-play either.

@Howard
I’m fine with a little tinkering. I just want something that’s both consumer- and power user-friendly, with a finished app. I don’t want to spend multiple weekends just trying to get a basic geofence to work. I’ll check Home Assistant out.

I’ve still got to set up my NAS, but this might be something I could run on my Synology.

@WatchfulWendy
They do offer ready-made hardware if that’s more your thing.

Home Assistant has improved a lot. Most things can now be done directly through the UI with just a few clicks, though you might occasionally have to dip into YAML.

But, just a heads up: your Ring cameras’ live view probably won’t work with Home Assistant. Ring doesn’t really integrate well for that. Everything else should be doable, though.

@Howard
Ring is just a temporary solution. My long-term plan is to switch to a local NAS, but that’s going to be a big, expensive project.

WatchfulWendy said:
@Howard
Ring is just a temporary solution. My long-term plan is to switch to a local NAS, but that’s going to be a big, expensive project.

I use Frigate as my NVR, and it integrates really well with Home Assistant. It can notify you when a person is detected in specific zones and lets you view live footage from the Home Assistant app. I also have automations set up, like turning on the porch light when someone is detected on the patio.

But, again, going the local route requires some tinkering—it might be more work than you’re up for.

@Howard
It looks like with some scripting, you can get the doorbell video feed when someone rings, which is really all I need. I’m not too picky about it.

Also, I saw a demo of Home Assistant running on Linknlink with a Star Trek theme… that’s definitely a selling point for me.

@WatchfulWendy
I haven’t tried running Home Assistant on my Synology, but I run it on a micro PC. Just keep in mind that running it on your NAS might shorten its lifespan, as the drives would always be active due to constant database access. The drives wouldn’t sleep or spin down like they would if you were just using the NAS for storage.

You might want to check out the Linknlink ISG MAX as a possible solution.

@Malik
Good point. My other NAS has SSDs, so maybe that would work better… Wait, hold on—did you say I can make the interface look like Star Trek Voyager? Now you’ve got my attention!