How to Control a Light Switch Remotely?

Hey folks,

I want to control a light switch in my house remotely, but I’m not sure where to start. What are the best options for making this happen? Any cool gadgets or smart home setups you recommend?

Thanks for the help!

2 Likes

Either replace the old switch with a “no-netural” smart switch, or wire a normal smart relay to the light fixture, where a neutral present will be present.

The simplest choice is to use a hub-based protocol such as Lutron Caseta, Zigbee, or Zwave since you want an extra “remote” switch. By pairing a “remote” switch with the “master” switch, you may control it remotely using any of these protocols.

1 Like

Start by turning off the power to the room at the circuit breaker. Then, install the remote switch. Connect the main power supply wire to the switch’s input, and then connect the light to the switch’s output.

To control a light switch remotely:

First, turn off the circuit breaker for safety. Connect the live power wire to the input terminal of the remote switch and the light’s wire to the output terminal. Then, follow the instructions to pair the remote switch with your control device.