How do I install a camera under my aluminium soffit?

https://imgur.com/a/vsJA2IQ

I need to put a security camera under my balcony’s soffit. The Ethernet cable runs through the walls (from the attic) and ends up in the hollow space just above the soffit.

I don’t have access to that hollow space above the soffit, and just screwing the camera to the soffit might not be strong enough.

What’s the best way to do this? Can I easily remove the soffit to get inside? Should I add a wooden plank to screw the camera onto?

Any advice would be appreciated.

I had the same issue with no wood to screw into. I used a 1/8 inch thick, 2-inch wide aluminum strip, cut a bit longer than the soffit width (about 12 inches for me). I mounted the camera to the strip, slid it under the back and front lips of the soffit, and it stayed snug. You can add a screw if needed. I painted the strip to match, and it’s hard to see unless you’re standing under the camera. Hope this helps!

@GaryWright I did the same but found a white aluminum piece at the hardware store, so no painting needed. It worked great and is solid!

If the space behind is hollow, you could use toggle bolts to secure the camera.

Run the wire back to somewhere with attic access, and tuck it into the soffit or pin it neatly.

@DolphGabbana The cable already ends in the balcony’s hollow space. I just need to figure out how to attach the camera securely to the soffit.

@MysteryMaverick It’s not clear how the hollow space connects to what’s in the picture. Can you provide more details about the materials and what kind of access you have?

If you can’t access inside the soffit, maybe use wp flex conduit. If you can access it, make a penetration and seal it properly. The corrugated surface might make it tricky, but they make adapters for that.

@MR.GREEN The cable is already in the hollow space. I just need advice on how to attach the camera securely to the soffit.

Find the nearest joist and anchor it there.

Get a 2-inch wide aluminum strip from a home improvement store. Cut it to the right width, drill holes for the cable and camera screws, paint the strip to match, then mount the camera. Slide it under the soffit edges at an angle, and it should hold well.