How can I secure my smart home devices from cyber threats?

I’ve recently noticed strange activity on my home network, like unknown devices connecting and slow internet speeds. I have several smart home devices, including cameras, lights, and a thermostat. I’m concerned they might be vulnerable to cyber threats. How can I secure my smart home devices from potential hacking or unauthorized access? What steps should I take to protect my home and personal data?

2 Likes

Use Zwave and Zigbee devices to avoid issues. If you must use Wifi devices, choose ones that work locally without needing the internet. Keep them on a separate network (VLAN) that doesn’t have internet access.

1 Like

I do not worry about smart home systems. The easiest way to get into a house is through the front door. If the door is locked, breaking the lock is still the simplest option. Hacking into someone’s smart home system is actually one of the hardest ways to get inside, even if the system has poor security. There has never been a confirmed case of someone breaking into a home with bad intentions by hacking smart devices. Every day, there are about 6,800 physical break-ins.