Home security system recommendations?

Hey guys, my wife and I are about to finalize the purchase of a house in Grad Hospital and we require some home security recommendations. The previous owners had ADT, which we could reactivate, but the reviews I have read online haven’t been very positive. We are open to other options and would love to hear what systems you are using and recommend.

1 Like

To enhance security, you can simply install an ADT sign outside and set up a self-hosted security system with cameras like Synology or Unifi. Personally, I use UniFi at my house and it functions exceptionally well. While there is an initial cost involved, you won’t have to worry about ongoing subscription fees. Additionally, most of their new cameras are equipped with event detection capabilities. This means that whenever someone is detected, I receive an instant alert on my phone. Although you’ll need Cat 6 (or Cat 5e) cables for installation, the superior quality and reliability outweigh the benefits of wireless options.

Since you’re not thrilled with ADT and are looking for alternatives, I’d recommend considering systems like Ring, Arlo, or Ubiquiti UniFi Protect. Ring offers a good balance of features and affordability with options for both indoor and outdoor cameras. Arlo is known for its high-quality cameras and flexible installation options, including battery-powered ones. Ubiquiti UniFi Protect is a bit more advanced, providing local storage and integration with other smart home devices. All these systems have strong customer support and positive reviews, so they might be worth checking out for your new home.