Home Security System Recommendations

Hi everyone,

I’m looking for recommendations on a reliable home security system.

I’m interested in Simplisafe, mainly because of the keyfob feature, so I don’t always have to enter a code on the keypad. However, I’ve heard some issues about entry sensors not connecting properly. I’m not sure if this is due to user error or a common problem with Simplisafe.

Here are the main features I’m looking for:

• Entry sensors
  • Indoor & outdoor cameras (preferably wireless)
  • Keyfob (I haven’t seen this feature with many other systems)
  • Deadbolt keypad (Simplisafe doesn’t offer this, so I’m considering Yale for now)
  • Motion sensors
  • Video doorbell

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

It looks like you’re planning to go the DIY route, which makes sense since Simplisafe is also a DIY home security system.

For cameras and the doorbell, I highly recommend Reolink. They offer solid options, especially if you’re looking for wireless solutions. As for alarm systems, I’m not as familiar, so you’ll probably want to consider other recommendations for that part.

Personally, I’ve been using some budget-friendly Wi-Fi door sensors and motion detectors that send alerts to my Alexa speaker or notify me on my phone through the Tuya app. While I wouldn’t suggest it if you want a set-it-and-forget-it solution—since you might have to tinker with it every few months—it does work for basic notifications like “front door open.” It’s a decent option if you’re okay with a bit of ongoing maintenance.

Any alarm system on the market should have the option for a key fob.

If I were to recommend something, I’d go with the Qolsys IQ4 paired with Alarm.com. Surety Alarm is a provider that’s pretty well-regarded here on Reddit.

As for Simplisafe, it’s often considered low-end with cheap parts, and they’ve had three or more rate increases in less than two years.

The recommendations I have are DIY-friendly, with reliable and encrypted sensors, and they include the features you’re looking for.

Abode Security is a solid option that covers all the features you’re asking for and is compatible with the Z-Wave Yale Assure Lock 2. Founded by former ADT employees, they have a good grasp of what it takes to build a dependable alarm system. Plus, they offer great camera options.

ADT is another recommendation, especially if you buy directly from their website and pay upfront to avoid being locked into a contract. They’ve partnered with Google for cameras and Yale for door locks. Their new alarm system also includes an innovative feature called Trusted Neighbor, which can detect when you or a trusted person is approaching your house and automatically unlock the door and disarm the alarm, using a mix of different technologies.

Both systems offer keychain remotes, making them convenient and secure choices.