Help with Home Security Setup and Camera Systems

I’m buying my first home and new to home security, and after reading a bit, I could use some advice. I’ve got around $5K USD to spend, including installation costs. Who should I hire for installing an alarm and security system? Should I look for an electrician, AV installer, or someone else? What are the best camera systems for good image quality? I’ve heard about Reolink, Eufy, Sony, Bosch, and Axis. My house is set back about 30 feet from the sidewalk, and I’m thinking of installing five outdoor cameras and two indoor cameras for good quality recording.

I would avoid electricians. What you’re looking for is a low voltage contractor. I’d go with an AV company. Many alarm companies may try to lock you into WiFi cameras and long-term contracts. I’m in the alarm business, but I don’t do contracts, which can be harder to find. You’ll want an NVR and hard drive with no monthly fees.

@Jean Thanks! Do you have any recommendations for a high-quality NVR? I’ve seen the Ubiquiti Dream Machine recommended.

There’s nothing high quality about Ubiquiti cameras. Their daytime quality is mid-tier, and their night-time image quality is some of the worst for the price. Plus, you’re locked into their system.

Thanks! I’ve been researching Axis for the past hour. What do you think about them?

Axis is great, but it may be overkill for your needs. I’d suggest getting cameras with a 1/2" sensor for better night quality. Also, avoid wide-angle lenses as they reduce detail. Ubiquiti cameras usually have tiny sensors and too wide a field of view.

I’ve heard good things about Ubiquiti systems, but I’m not very familiar with them.

If you’re in Central Florida, I can install an 8-camera POE system for $4K, including Dahua cameras, NVR, wiring, labor, and a hard drive.

I’m in North Carolina, unfortunately. Thanks, though!

No worries. I love Dahua systems. If you get any quotes, feel free to share them with me. Some companies charge way too much. I charge $500 per camera for a full install, but others charge up to $1K for the same work.

I really appreciate that, thank you so much! :blush: When searching for companies, what type of professional should I be looking for — AV contractors, home security installers, electricians, etc.?

Hire a local alarm company, not one of those big nationwide ones. Check out LTS.com.

Thanks! I’m in Charlotte, NC. The issue with alarm companies here is that they seem few and far between, and their reviews aren’t great. By the way, I’ve been looking into Axis cameras for the last hour, and they seem solid.

If you can’t find anyone local, you might want to try doing it yourself. Some people can pre-program a Honeywell system for you. You just need to run a few wires and use wireless sensors. Axis isn’t any better than most. Lorex is a good DIY option if you run out of choices.

Axis is definitely better than most. Their software, tech support, and warranty are top-tier. You get what you pay for with Axis, especially if you’re using the advanced features. If not, you might as well use something cheaper.

I like Dahua TiOC cameras. The only downside is that they aren’t NDAA compliant.

I can’t help with an installer, but I installed an Alarm.com system with cameras at my own house, and I recommend it. Avoid big providers and look for a small, local company.

You’re right, but people always go with the big names until they realize how bad their service is. I run a small low-voltage business, and most of my clients come to me after bad experiences with ADT, Vivint, or Brinks. I use Alarm.com, 2GIG, Qolsys for wireless installs, and DSC Neo for wired systems. I don’t like WiFi cameras in general.

Qolsys and DSC Neo are my go-to systems too. POE cameras are a hassle to wire unless you’re there during a renovation.

Wired cameras are definitely a pain, but WiFi cameras often fail. I’ve seen more requests for wired cameras lately because of WiFi jamming concerns. At my house, I keep everything wired.